2008 honda civic oil capacity (R18)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a question I hope somebody can help me with. My girlfriend has a 08 civic ex the manual says it holds 3.9qts...I put 4qts in it and its at the bottom of the dipstick. Now I have read on Honda forums that the manual for the 2009 civic says it holds 4.7 qts...so I'm wondering if in 09 they realized that 3.9 wasn't the correct amount? Or did they make a design change which increased oil capacity? I have been splitting the difference and putting in 4.3ish? If anybody on here with a r18 civic can tell me what you put in yours it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Amsoil says 4.0 qt, did you put bigger oil filter? I would add more oil (like 0.5 qt max) and leave it right in the middle of min and max marks,and check if it is going way up when engine is hot.

Last edited:
Thanks..no it is the normal size Honda filter. It just bothers me that the manual says one thing and the dipstick says different. Is it really that hard to make a dipstick that matches what the manual says Haha?

I have a 2.3 I4 which calls for 4Qt and when I drain at an angle, front high, takes 5Qt with larger Honda filter. The total capicity is well over 6Qt. Honda engines hide lots of oil and the drain depends on the angle of the engine IME.
About 2cents worth
Smoky

My 2007 was always at the top of the Full range on the dipstick, or maybe 1/8" over, when I dumped in 4 quarts with a filter change. I remember the in the manual numbers as something like 3.7 without filter change and 3.9 with filter.

I never heard of incorrect oil capacity being a problem with the R18. Seems weird to me, but I guess I probably wouldn't worry about it, and just use the dipstick as a guide.

yeah if you search youll find plenty of people with the same issue.

last oil change i put 4.4qts and it registers on the dipstick as halfway between the cross hatch marking. i called it good right there.

the plastic orange dipstick does not help either.

I have an '08 LX. I put in 4 qts when I do an oil and filter change. That puts it at the top of the cross hatch on the dipstick. Never had a problem. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back