2008 Honda Civic 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon everyone. I have a question that I would like answered. During the dollar sale at autozone I stocked up on all PU 5w40 and GC 0w40. Have a bunch of it (around 80 qts). My car is spec'd for 5w20 and I realize this. My question is can I run the 0w40 safely? I work at a dealership so I can run half and half of 5w20 to 0w40. My engine also holds 4 quarts. Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted By: Teetsdownlow
I stocked up on all PU 5w40 and GC 0w40. Have a bunch of it (around 80 qts).

Wow, that's amazing. I swear to god, I never see these deals at AutoZone!

As I've stated on here a dozen times, I was a Honda dealer mech before more schooling and eventually becoming a UPS diesel semi mechanic. Doesn't your car have some sort of VTEC? Honda didn't design it to work with thick viscosity's in mind. I really don't care if people say Honda specs a thicker oil in Bolivia. Do what you want, if your looking for someone to agree with your wishes it won't be me.

Yes, it does have VTEC. Thank you for your input.

jdavis- that was just half the synthetic. I had at least 24 quarts each of 5w50, 10w40, 10w30, 5w30. I already used all of that up or sold it to friends. Definitely was a good deal

You can mix it, but your engine specs 5w20 / 0w20...not 5w30 which is what your mix will make. Will your engine blow up because of it? No, but is it optimal, no.

You'll be fine running it straight without mixing. In fact those oils you bought are the best oils on the market. Use them straight
If you insist on mixing I suggest the thinnest 20 grade you can find,like TGMO or something.
I'd just run them straight though.
And it's been proven 100 times over that v-tec will operate just fine with a thicker oil.
Think about it. Does the vtec work in the winter when oil is 100 times thicker. If so why would a hot 40 grade affect it. Especially hot.

VTEC mechanism will not engage with very thick oil. Some owner of S2000 tried to rev engine pass 60000 RPM right after he left parking lot in evening after work in So Cal summer, what he got was fuel cut off.

I think if engine is operated below 6000 RPM until it is at operating temperature then VTEC will work with xW40. That means owner needs to drive more sedate longer with heavier oil.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
VTEC mechanism will not engage with very thick oil. Some owner of S2000 tried to rev engine pass 60000 RPM right after he left parking lot in evening after work in So Cal summer, what he got was fuel cut off.

Wow
grin.gif

I have had it up on craigslist 2 different times with each being 30 days. Still no bites at 4.00 a qt. I'm trying to convince the owner at my dealership to let me unload it as a customer special for a couple people but we'll see.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I think if engine is operated below 6000 RPM until it is at operating temperature then VTEC will work with xW40. That means owner needs to drive more sedate longer with heavier oil.

This may be misleading. The cause for VTEC not engaging may be the coolant temperature, to prevent engine damage. Most boosted cars will prevent full boost at colder temperatures, so I suppose that a performance variant of VTEC may also prevent engagement due to low coolant temperatures, and has nothing to do with oil viscosity.

Regardless, the R18 VTEC is an economy version, and not even comparable to the SI VTEC, unless you consider that, when the R18 goes into VTEC, it is similar to the cam profile of an SI while NOT in VTEC. It's designed for economy, and will only allow "regular" operation when required for a "regular" performance. There is no sport in the R18, only economy and...regularness.

//

For the others who say VTEC (variable valve timing) will not engage with thicker oil, why do you say this? Do you have any data to back this up? Do you really think shifting of cam profiles will be inhibited by oil that is a few cSt higher?

Seems absurd to me.

Use it without mixing. As Clevy mentioned those oil are no heavier than 5w20, except on operating temperature. To say that VTEC wouldn't work with this oils is ridiculous. Honda spec C3 5w30 oils over here, but I'm sure a little older cars were specified for 5w40.

The S2000's VTEC (and the other Honda engines that use the same type of system) do not engage VTEC unless ALL three of the following conditions are met:

Must be in a forward gear (that is, not park, neutral, or reverse)

Must be going at least 15 mph

Must be warmed up (I think the cutoff is 150 degrees, but don;t quote me on that)

Therefore, VTEC will not kick in in the parking lot

0w40 would be fine to run in this engine. They normally get 5w30 here but 5/10w40s are used and less common 0/5w20 which is rarely used here. A 40 weight is not at all too thick and won't cause any ill effects to the Vtec.
I know people that run 10w50 in Vtecs when they track them and sometimes for normal driving and even that doesn't seem to effect anything apart from fuel efficiency maybe 2 or 3%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back