2008 Goldwing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1
I would definitely run the Rotella 5w40.

Why the Rotella synthetic 5W-40, and not the 15W40 dino ? More mileage between changes ?

How about the Delo 400 15W40 ? Do you consider it as good as the Rotella 15W40 ?

Dave

The Rotella 5w40 in a synthetic oil and more durable overall and easier on start up than the 15w40 equivalent. Delo, Rotella or Mobil all have great 15w40 oils and you cannot go wrong with any of them.

Originally Posted By: dave95sps
Originally Posted By: PT1
I would definitely run the Rotella 5w40.

Why the Rotella synthetic 5W-40, and not the 15W40 dino ? More mileage between changes ?

How about the Delo 400 15W40 ? Do you consider it as good as the Rotella 15W40 ?

Dave

Some folks like to have longer oil change intervals. This is where the synthetic comes in. If you are doing three or four thousand mile oil change intervals then the conventional oil is for you.

Yes, the Delo is as good as the others (Rotella, Delvac, whatever). Many favor the Rotella because it is available virtually everywhere and is usually cheaper than either the Delo or the Delvac. All three of these are excellent choices. I would not rate one as being better than the other.

There are many of us that buy from Hal at Direct Line parts. If you like the Honda filter then it's fine for you. There are some of us that use an aftermarket automotive filter with excellent results. Sometimes this is just a personal preference. Using the Genuine Honda filter will in no way detract from your longevity. Many of us use the Wal-Mart Supertech filter, the Purolator 14612, Bosch 3300, and a few others. They are larger than the OEM and therefore have more filtering media. Of course, it helps that we can get them locally and they're less than half the price of the OEM filter.

The next time you click over to Direct Line Parts, check out the Honda Gold Wing extended warranty. The last time I looked, you could get an additional four years of Genuine Honda warranty (in addition to the three you already have) for about $400. Every now and then Hal will run "specials" and you can get it for even less.

And just a quick note. It's true that Honda specs a 10W-30 in the newer Gold Wings. But the oil chart (p. 153) also shows 10W-30, 10W-40 over the entire operating range. There are even some that run a 20W-50 with excellent results.

I wouldn't worry too much about running a 15W-40 in your Gold Wing.

If you like to ride in 30 degree weather, then yes, the 5W-40 Rotella will provide you with better flow on startup - but I've run my Harleys for many years with 20W-50 in all kinds of weather and (knock on wood) have never had a problem.

Thanks kballowe.

Man, you guys are a wealth of knowledge! I plan on checking the oil filters out at Walmart, AND I'll take a look at the extended warranty you mentioned. Is it a "Honda" warranty by chance ? The dealer wanted an arm and a leg for the extended warranty when I bought the Wing, if I recall correctly.

Thanks again, Dave

Originally Posted By: dave95sps
Thanks kballowe.

Man, you guys are a wealth of knowledge! I plan on checking the oil filters out at Walmart, AND I'll take a look at the extended warranty you mentioned. Is it a "Honda" warranty by chance ? The dealer wanted an arm and a leg for the extended warranty when I bought the Wing, if I recall correctly.

Thanks again, Dave

It's the Genuine Honda warranty. And I was mistaken. It's $445 but you can sometimes catch it on special.

UNLESS YOU LIVE IN FLORIDA. This warranty cannot be sold to residents of Florida. I'm not kidding. No, I don't know the particulars.

Genuine Honda Extended Warranty

Extended warranties have a hefty commission built into the price.
Hence it's a profitable item for dealers to sell/push.
That someone sells them at a decent discount is great, if not amazing.

Wish the big 3 dealers would start a price war on their extended warranties.

Originally Posted By: GoldwingGuy
Has anyone tried the Rotella 10W-30? Local Walmart stocks this and was going to give it a try.

That's a relatively new offering. Some of the newer diesel manufacturers are recommending this 10W-30 oil, hence its' recent introduction on the shelves.

It's Rotella - how bad could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back