2007 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, due to a growing family, we traded our V50 in on an XC90 V8. It has about 120k but I saw all the service records and it was well taken care of. It looks almost brand new.

I had great luck with the Mobil 1 0w40 in the V50 with the 5cyl.

This XC90 V8 is made by Yamaha in Japan for Volvo, so I'm very confident in this engine. I put in 7qts of M1 0W40 and a Bosch filter. I searched this forum and did not see much on the V8 models...plenty of the 2.5t and 3.2, but not this engine.

I also plan on doing a drain and fill of the ATF with Amsoil unless there is a consensus objection here. It's the 3309 fluid. I have read about the ATF on the Volvo forums, and the drain and fill seems to be the preferred method since sometimes a software reprogram is needed for a full fluid exchange.

This thing is so smooth and fast!

And since I'm a loyal BITOG'er...I'm changing the spark plugs and fuel filter also. Cause that's how we roll.

Drain and fill only gets about 40% of the fluid changed. Get the IPD kit and do a cooler line exchange. No software programming required, full fluid exchange. You'll need the rings and clips with the kit to do it right.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Drain and fill only gets about 40% of the fluid changed. Get the IPD kit and do a cooler line exchange. No software programming required, full fluid exchange. You'll need the rings and clips with the kit to do it right.

It's my understanding that the IPD kit is not compatible with the XC90 AWD.

I can easily get all the fluid I need and take the car to my mechanic and use his BG exchange machine to get it all out. I was just a little apprehensive about a full exchange on a higher mileage vehicle.

But if I can do a full Amsoil exchange, I'll do it for sure.

When I got my XC 90 (5 cyl), the shop changed to AMSOIL 5W-30 and flushed the transmission to AMSOIL ATF.
No problem using the BG equipment, but don't let them add any of the BG magic additive.

I like those XC90's, they tempt me a bit. Enjoy yours! You seem to be a Volvo family, when I was a kid we were but we got away from them and I never got back to them. They pull at me yet they scare me I fear I wouldn't be able to afford to keep one on the road. Yet I drive a Jeep ha ha.

I presume it's got a transfer case and differentials to do as well?

Rumours are starting that Volvo (now owned by a Chinese Co., Z. Geely Holdings) , is considering pulling out of North America. Think Suzuki, Saab...

Their market share has fallen to almost nothing, while other luxury brands are powering up up... is Volvo a luxury brand...? A "safe" brand...Or something else? I don't think Volvo even knows, and that seems to be the problem...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I like those XC90's, they tempt me a bit. Enjoy yours! You seem to be a Volvo family, when I was a kid we were but we got away from them and I never got back to them. They pull at me yet they scare me I fear I wouldn't be able to afford to keep one on the road. Yet I drive a Jeep ha ha.

I presume it's got a transfer case and differentials to do as well?

I think so. Honestly, it our first AWD vehicle and I need to get to know it a little better.

It's been my experience that as long as you maintain things, your major components will last a long time. The European rubber is a different story. Bushings and ball joints!

But my wife REFUSES to drive a minivan and I love her for that. This XC90 is a 6000lb kid and grocery hauler. There is a Volvo indy shop in Houston that has great reviews. I'm going to ask them what ATF they use.

JWS-3309 is the key. Personally, I buy Mobil 3309 on Amazon, or Toyota T-IV at the local dealer, and change it every 30,000 with a cooler line flush...I don't see the big synthetic advantage in this application, but I do see the advantage of regular fluid exchanges...during my first few changes, the fluid came out quite dark and muddy/brown...now, it comes out much more red and translucent.

The AW 55 transmission in my two Volvos is known for its short life, but with regular fluid changes, and a valvebody rebuild, they've held up well...over 180,000 on the XC now.

For more on my valvebody adventure, read here: http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/2002-V70-XC-Valve-Body-Replacement-Notes.pdf

And be glad that you've got the newer transmission in your XC90.

I bought an XC90 2.5T about two months ago. Had 86K miles on it but was like new with good service records and one owner. I researched the trans fluid thing to death and bought a bottle of Castrol import multi-vehicle ATF and was going to go that route....but, it's almost $6/qt. and the 3309 from the Toyota dealer up the road was $4.50/qt. for Mobil 3309 in a black Toyota labeled bottle. He'll they are even the same shape bottle and I saw some Volvo forum where a guy posted either the msds or a spec sheet from Mobil that confirmed Mobil was the supplier for Toyota and Lexus Type-IV as they both use A-W transmissions.
I bought four bottles last week and plan a drain and fill my next OC which is coming up.

I love the XC90...and Volvo is in the US for the long haul. The guy that penned that prediction in his article in Wall St. 24/7 is an idiot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toros
I bought an XC90 2.5T about two months ago. Had 86K miles on it but was like new with good service records and one owner. I researched the trans fluid thing to death and bought a bottle of Castrol import multi-vehicle ATF and was going to go that route....but, it's almost $6/qt. and the 3309 from the Toyota dealer up the road was $4.50/qt. for Mobil 3309 in a black Toyota labeled bottle. He'll they are even the same shape bottle and I saw some Volvo forum where a guy posted either the msds or a spec sheet from Mobil that confirmed Mobil was the supplier for Toyota and Lexus Type-IV as they both use A-W transmissions.
I bought four bottles last week and plan a drain and fill my next OC which is coming up.

I love the XC90...and Volvo is in the US for the long haul. The guy that penned that prediction in his article in Wall St. 24/7 is an idiot.

Nice. The 2.5 is supposed to be fantastic! Like I said, I'm going to check with the local indy Volvo shops and see what they use. They have great reps and would not use garbage.

I would pay extra attention to the Trans on this car. My friend has one same year and the trans went out with 100k on the clock. Apparently it is very common on these and either nobody wants to work or rebuild these transmissions or nobody knows how. It took my friend 13 MONTHS before he was able to get his trans rebuilt. It would have cost about $6k for one through the dealer. Good luck!

JWS-3309 is the key. Personally, I buy Mobil 3309 on Amazon, or Toyota T-IV at the local dealer, and change it every 30,000 with a cooler line flush...I don't see the big synthetic advantage in this application, but I do see the advantage of regular fluid exchanges...during my first few changes, the fluid came out quite dark and muddy/brown...now, it comes out much more red and translucent.

The AW 55 transmission in my two Volvos is known for its short life, but with regular fluid changes, and a valvebody rebuild, they've held up well...over 180,000 on the XC now.

For more on my valvebody adventure, read here: http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/2002-V70-XC-Valve-Body-Replacement-Notes.pdf

I had 2006 V70 valvebody rebuilt few months ago for $800. This car also needs to have oil trap replaced soon.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I had 2006 V70 valvebody rebuilt few months ago for $800. This car also needs to have oil trap replaced soon.

As far as I know, the V8 only has the electronic PCV and one hose and elbow, no traps to clog.

Saab was ruined by GM and even such things as the Trailblazer and Subaru WRX wagon were badged as Saabs.
I hope that you didn't really mean to compare Volvo to the company that made the Geo Metro.
Volvo has been and remains a premium brand.
To think that the Chinese owners would pull the brand from a large premium heavy market is silly.

Volvo is still recovering from the FoMoCo years.

The old P2s were the last all-Swedish platforms, before the takeover "corporate" platforms started eroding later models. It was noticeable by the end of the relationship.

Time will tell if the new owners will allow the Swedes resources to rebuild product development to where it used to be to compete with Audi and the other second-tier premium Euro marques.

Another 3-4 model years and we shall see. I don't see them leaving the NA market, though. This is not a Peugeot or Saab situation. Volvo cars still has a mature dealer presence in most major markets.

The V8 is a nice high revving engine, but you need to keep up with tranny maintenance on them. Same deal as the early automatic Rs - don't change the fluid and you can expect problems. Stick with 3309 and not the universal fluids. Every 30k is about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back