2007 Toyota Sienna, Toyota 5W30 oil - 4,750 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bill in Utah I went a bit over the top with my rant! I am sorry! I have nothing against you!! Seriously I have been under a lot of stress lately and I think it is showing!!! While I believe everything I wrote to be true I was a bit abbrassive and I appoligise! I have a ULEV car and I run everything from 0W30 to 20W50 in it. Well I have not run the 20W50 yet but I have some it is Valvoline Synthetic and it was on sale so I said why not. I am thinking of running it this next summer. I have ran Redline 5W40,RTS5W40,Delo 15w40 AND A LOT OF 5w30'S AND 10w30'S in it. My car is not spec.'ed for 0W20 or 5W20 and the TSB retro-recomending it also does not cover my engine and car year. I also considered SAE 30 and SAE 20 if I could find them in my area in the Valvoline Premium Blue series. I do not think ULEV has much to do with anything mecyhanical int he engine really. I know my car has two pup cat's and then 1 or 2 cats after them even though it is a 4 cylinder.

I can tell you this much I have almost never ran a plain jain oil in this car with out adding some additives to make up for the reduced levels of additives as compared to present oils. So if I where going to suffer from all the extra additives you would think that since I am comeing up on 70,000 miles it might have showed it's ugly face by now!

Here is an updated report on my van. 10K miles after the last report. Still using Toyota 5W30 oil and the free dealer oil changes every 5K miles. Blackstone flagged the copper and viscosity. I can't see how this elevated copper reading is due to new engine "breakin" anymore.
mad.gif

Anyway, I took in my own Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 which the dealer used with the OC at 25K instead of good old Toyota brand oil. I'll test it after 4,750 miles and see if it makes any difference.

Quote:

Date of UOA: 12/19/08
Oil Miles/Time: 4,500 miles/3 months ~60% highway miles
Total Miles: 24,500
No make up oil added.

Aluminum - 4
Chromium - 0
Iron - 6
Copper - 54
Lead - 0
Tin - 1
Molybdenum - 114
Nickel - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Manganese - 0
Potassium - 3
Boron - 35
Silicon - 9
Sodium - 248
Calcium - 1962
Magnesium - 11
Phosphorus - 694
Zinc - 853
Barium - 0

cSt Visocity 100C - 8.07
SUS Viscocity 212F - 52.6
Flashpoint - 375
Antifreeze & Water - 0%
Fuel - < 0.5%
Insolubles - 0.34
TBN - did not do

Blackstone comments: "The oil's viscosity measured in the 5W/20-grade range although no gasoline was present in the sample to cause the shift in viscosity. Copper, from brass/bronze parts like bushings increased even though oil use was less than the first sample. It points to either a little extra wear or it could be an anomaly. Copper will take its time getting down to universal averages due to the way bronze parts are machined. We'll watch it for you in future samples. In the meantime, we suggest trying a 3,000-mile oil change to help control the
amount of copper getting into the oil."

It could just be an oil cooler or something. For example, the Honda V6 engines will show 20-30 ppm of cooper even after break-in.

I think I'm going to ask the dealer. I thought oil coolers were usually installed with towing packages, which I don't have. There are only a few other Sienna UOA posted, but none of them show high copper like this. In the mantime I hope a better grade of oil will help out.
blush.gif

Roger, here's the Blackstone reports from my 2008 Sienna. Copper was flagged as being high, and the Blackstone comment was that a bronze part was wearing in.

Code:
OIL FactoryFill MobilClean5000 5W20

MILES IN USE 770 4287

MILES 770 5057

ALUMINUM 3 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 11 10

COPPER 92 100

LEAD 4 2

TIN 1 1

MOLYBDENUM 130 131

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 4 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 7 2

BORON 63 21

SILICON 297 79

SODIUM 241 198

CALCIUM 1574 1725

MAGNESIUM 5 9

PHOSPHORUS 604 617

ZINC 771 744

BARIUM 16 2

Thanks Samilcar. There are not a lot of Sienna UOA to begin with, and the ones I saw are the older 3.0L engine. Perhaps high copper is a trademark of this newer 2GRFE 3.5L engine Toyota now puts in the Siennas. I hope you guys are right. I know Honda & some GM engines are notorious for high copper, but this is the first I've noticed high copper in a Toyota.

our local yota stealership uses Kendall syn blend. they do not carry the yota labeled motor oil but of course everything else is.

billinutah: no uoa sorry, but using ma butt dyno und the mileage I can tell how the oil is doing.
I drive the same route, same gas, same speed every week. 300 miles on i96. I gauge my mpg when I fillup just before reaching home.

I used to do the add a little shot trick on our honda, I used drop few gulps of valvoline additive (few years back) and drive another 1000 miles,
now the honda is the blowby monster (sorry no uoa again, butt dyno und nose).

I will take a sample from the sienna middle of the next oil change to the local cat dealer.

for moi, I have to get it done every 5k for zee extended warranty. after 100k we shall see :).

stay warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back