2007 Titan Mixing different brands okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys,

I can't afford my beloved Royal Purple this oil change. Its been a year. I need to oil change my truck, I would say. Even with only 2000 miles on the oil, I feel it's time simply on account of age. (Albeit, truck did sit a bit in the summer)

Walmart didn't have my backup oil, Castrol Edge 5W30 in jugs so I settled on a 5qt jug of Rotella Gas Truck 5W30. Never tried it before, but I don't think it'll do particularly bad either....

Mind y'all, I live in Fresno CA (very hot in summer, winters are borderline ~32F sometimes), I do short trips, lots of idling, towing, and drive down dirt roads frequently. Other house is in midpines up yonder in the hills.

The dilemma I'm facing is they didn't have RGT 5W30 in single quarts.

So I bought a quart of Castrol Edge and a quart of Hyper-Lube instead. The latter is because I notice a bit of a ticking noise at idle, and from experience I've used HyperLube on other vehicles without catastrophe.

So my question is... will putting 5 qts of RGT 5W30, a quart of Castrol Edge 5W30, and quart of Hy-per lube be harmful to my truck?

I plan on running this medely of stuff for a few months/3k or so then switch back to Royal Purple. Thoughts?

Part of me says "Put it in and send it. oil is oil" -the other part of me says "Mixing 3 oils may not be too smart"

Thanks in advance?
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the mix hurt anything? No, oils are designed to be mixed. But, also they will not perform to their design parameters due to the mix.

I don't understand why you would buy such a concoction. Its one thing to use up left over oil, but another to purposefully buy different kinds.
Just get one brand of oil.

Cost and availability. What I will do is I'll head to a different WM real quick and see if I can get Edge 5QT.

I didn't think of that first sentence in terms of design parameters. Thank you a mil!

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Will the mix hurt anything? No, oils are designed to be mixed. But, also they will not perform to their design parameters due to the mix.

I don't understand why you would buy such a concoction. Its one thing to use up left over oil, but another to purposefully buy different kinds.
Just get one brand of oil.

Cost and availability. What I will do is I'll head to a different WM real quick and see if I can get Edge 5QT.
I didn't think of that first sentence in terms of design parameters. Thank you a mil!

I know I've used Hyper Lube on my aunt Cathy's Chevy Trailblazer with no issue. Actually seemed to make it smoother.

My truck, I've always had a small tick since I got it when I was 17. I do notice it's a bit more pronounced now.

So I bought the Hyper lube as a "I'll see if that helps" kinda thing

Last edited:
For that truck I would stop the Royal ripoff and go to a bargin brand. ST syn, QS, Castrol Magnetic, RGT on sale Havoline. Any of those are available and cheap and good. for 1 year and 2K mile OCI.... absolutely no problem at all.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Wait the three months with the current fill.

Originally Posted by JLTD
2000 miles is nothing. Drive on.

+1

It's not like you're putting any old type of crappy oil in the engine. That "medley" of oils are all good ones. I would not hesitate to run it at least to 5k and more. Any less is a waste of good oil and money. Get your Royal Purple after this oci is done if that's what you're heart is set on.

If by WM you men Walmart then just order online. Walmart is trying to compete with amazon so you can get two day free shipping on most of the oils now.

BITOG must be slipping. I'm not sure why no one else has pointed out the obvious yet. Stuff like Hyperlube is basically snake oil and it's actually achieved its purpose in this application which is to make the man poor. No need for any of that. And I always like how people claim that it seems to make their engine quieter. There's always the placebo effect and trying to make self fulling prophecies. The fact is, regular oil changes with just regular oil like Mobil 1 or Castrol will make the engine last just as long and you won't become poor chasing some magic oil that makes the engine last longer. There isn't one and it's just a waste of money.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
BITOG must be slipping. I'm not sure why no one else has pointed out the obvious yet. Stuff like Hyperlube is basically snake oil and it's actually achieved its purpose in this application which is to make the man poor. No need for any of that. And I always like how people claim that it seems to make their engine quieter. There's always the placebo effect and trying to make self fulling prophecies. The fact is, regular oil changes with just regular oil like Mobil 1 or Castrol will make the engine last just as long and you won't become poor chasing some magic oil that makes the engine last longer. There isn't one and it's just a waste of money.

Noted. Like I mentioned, I don't plan on running this too terribly long. But will have to consider. Thank you

Originally Posted by ruSSrt
If by WM you men Walmart then just order online. Walmart is trying to compete with amazon so you can get two day free shipping on most of the oils now.

Any shipping restrictions? that's really the only thing I'd be concerned about

$35 order gets you free shipping.
I just did a Walmart order a few hours ago. Pennzoil Gold Syn Blend for our new Kia Soul. Gonna' change-out the factory-fill this week. Only has 1.1K on the odometer for the past 3.5 months. Then when the odometer does reach 3.5K, I'll switch the Kia to full synthetic. Wife's drivinbg habits call for Severe Service Oil Changes. So I'll be changing it every 4K. Won't be expensive, for the engine only holds 4.25 quarts.

Rotella G/T, Castrol Edge, Valvoline Advanced, Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil-1 are all you need for great engine upkeep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Dumping RP at 2k!
shocked2.gif

After a year though. I just felt way too sketched out having the same oil in there for a year.

I usually go 4K on the RP in the truck....That's beating the manure out of it....

I'll gladly go 7K OCIs sole highway driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
For that truck I would stop the Royal ripoff and go to a bargin brand. ST syn, QS, Castrol Magnetic, RGT on sale Havoline. Any of those are available and cheap and good. for 1 year and 2K mile OCI.... absolutely no problem at all.

Yep...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back