2007 Tahoe Oil Pump Change

My oil pressure started dropping in my 07 Tahoe 5.3L (306k) and I am fairly convinced it is the oil pick up seal which mates to th eoil pump. Going to change the oil pump out as well. I know the standard process is to drop the pan which on a 4X4 is a real pain. Anyone have experience with doing this job without dropping the pan on a 4x4.

You have to drop the pan to access the oil pump and oring. You’re on the right track as far as the oil pump oring goes. My 5.3 had a bit of rattle and low oil pressure on start up and the new Oring fixed it. Mine is a two wheel drive so wasn’t too bad. Several good utube videos on this procedure.

Make sure the Pressure Relief Valve in the pan has a shield on it to reduce oil consumption, In fact....It's not a bad idea to replace the Valve itself as they can leak & cause low pressure concerns.
Absolutely golden advice and the valve is under $30 last time I did one.,,if I recall correctly.

Absolutely golden advice and the valve is under $30 last time I did one.,,if I recall correctly.
Yep. List price on the valve is under $10. Most of the oil pressure issues I see on these engines are caused by this stupid regulator; we just automatically figure a new one and shield into the estimate any time we pull a pan.

Back