2007 Prius + Castrol Edge for 19k miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your engine probably is doomed. It was determined earlier today on BITOG that Edge is "dirty" oil.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: skyship
A doomed engine never gives any reliable hints, just a lst gasp, hiss or bang milliseconds before it dies!
UOA next time please!!

The Prius would probably give a death rattle of just under a minute and then leave you with only EV mode to limp to its final resting place. Perhaps the first car zombie, ever.

Hi Jred. I'm doing 10k mile OCI's in a Prius and it seems to handle it well enough. What's the motivation for the very long drain interval?

IBTL

When I changed my oil on my Prius around 7000 miles and sent out a sample to Blackstone, it still looked good (we know thats not an indicator of anything) but the UOA proved that going at 12-15k on a good synthetic in the Prius is completely doable.

Last edited:
I have a new 2013 Prius and plan on doing a 6 month/5K OCI, even though the Owners Manual recommends 10K. While you didn't kill your engine, it's probably not very happy. Is there any info on whether the Toyota Prius 4 cylinder engine is prone to sludge? I would be curious to know.

Last edited:
I would change the oil in hybrid more often because the engine goes on and off a lot.Probably not really heating the oil at times.Especially short trips.
Maybe do 6K-7K mile intervals.

If you're going to push the oil that far,at least go with Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Colt
I would change the oil in hybrid more often because the engine goes on and off a lot.Probably not really heating the oil at times.Especially short trips.
Maybe do 6K-7K mile intervals.

If you're going to push the oil that far,at least go with Amsoil.

Oddly enough stop starting an engine only causes significant extra wear if it cools down or is already in poor condition as regards significant blowby. The good thin about hybrid engines is they are always under load, so don't suffer from idle problems like fuel contamination or carbon deposits in the cylinders. They can still suffer slightly from short tripping stopping them getting out of a rich fuel setting or fully into lean burn mode if they have one. 10K miles should be fine with a good oil and filter, although it's always worth a single UOA to check the figures.

Originally Posted By: JRed
AND I DIDN'T SEND IT OUT FOR UOA!

Engine. Is. Doomed!

Nah, not really.

so why not elaborate on WHY you did this? for the uninformed. or are you just baiting/inviting conjecture?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

so why not elaborate on WHY you did this? or are you just baiting?

+1

What's the background story here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
AND I DIDN'T SEND IT OUT FOR UOA!

AND YOU HAD A NERVE TO POST ABOUT IT!

Haha, I've missed folks like you friendly_jacek! I need to start hanging around here more often again. I got the biggest laugh out of that.

Originally Posted By: uart
Hi Jred. I'm doing 10k mile OCI's in a Prius and it seems to handle it well enough. What's the motivation for the very long drain interval?

I just didn't have time to change it and this car has a VERY easy drive cycle these days - gentle warmup followed by a 30-mile drive on winding roads with speeds between 45 and 65 mph.

For those that don't know the ICE ("internal combustion engine" - the gas engine - us uppity-up Prius owners call it "the ICE") doesn't cut off on cold mornings until it has reached a minimum coolant temp. If you have the heat on it won't cut the engine off until the coolant is hot enough to provide adequate heat.

The oil had 18,000 miles on it when I drove 1100 miles from Central VA to Philadelphia PA going 70-75 MPH the whole way.

Last edited:
Also, some observations along the way:

- This car WILL get "mayonnaise" under the oil filler cap if it's short tripped a lot in cold weather - I know from owning the car last winter when I had a much shorter commute (3 miles one way).

- Even during weeks with very cold temperatures I haven't seen the mayo appear since my commute is longer now. Figured the oil is getting warm enough to boil off condensation.

- I figured that based on the fuel consumption of my Prius (49.5 MPG when it's warm out/summer blend gas, 46.6 when it's cold/winter blend gas) and its sump capacity (~3 quarts) vs. other vehicles I could easily go to 15,000 miles with no problem. If folks with Honda Civics that average 30-something MPG can go 10,000 miles on Motorcraft 5w-20, I figured I could go 15,000 on Edge.

- Oil was dark brown when drained. Nothing scary. Filter still looked like a filter inside when I took it off. Yeah, that's right - I didn't even change the filter for the whole 19,000 miles.

Such a REBEL...

...in my Prius
frown.gif

I just didn't have time to change it and this car has a VERY easy drive cycle these days - gentle warmup followed by a 30-mile drive on winding roads with speeds between 45 and 65 mph.

Interesting, you've just about described my Prius usage exactly there. It also gets trips of about 30 miles each way, and at speed limits of around 40 to 60 MPH, for about 350 miles per week. This does seem to be extremely easy on the oil, mine always looks to be in very good condition when I drain it at around 9 to 10 k-miles.

BTW. That drive cycle is also very easy on the fuel consumption as well, with values around 55 MPG being typical. Oh and that's using a non-energy conserving oil (hths-3.6) too.
shocked.gif

Last edited:
uart:

My oil was molasses colored at 15,000 miles.

Is the 55 MPG measured in imperial gallons? If not, I commend you for having a very light foot. Is your Prius a second or third generation?

You're right about it being very easy on fuel consumption - my route is very hilly and I average 49.5 MPG in the summer (well, 50 MPG because my tires are 1% larger than the OEM tires) without driving especially conservatively.

Another reason I decided to extend the OCI is because I never saw my fuel consumption go up over the length of the OCI. I figured if I were to run the oil far too long and it began to thicken due to oxidation I'd see it in my average fuel consumption.

What oil are you using? I think I'm going to start running Rotella T6 5w-40 (mostly to spite the naysayers, admittedly) during the summer and I don't expect it to effect my fuel economy at all.

uart:
My oil was molasses colored at 15,000 miles.

Hopefully only in color and not in viscosity.
smile.gif

Yes my oil gradually darkens over the OCI, but the viscosity and feel of the oil is pretty much the same when I drain it as it was when I put it in.

Quote:
Is the 55 MPG measured in imperial gallons? If not, I commend you for having a very light foot. Is your Prius a second or third generation?

Just a secondhand 2005 gen2, had it about 3.5 years now. Yes that was converted to US MPG, we use L/100km here. Typically I get 4.3 L/100km or better. The longish trips definitely help, as do the moderate speeds and lack of any really cold weather here.

Quote:
What oil are you using? I think I'm going to start running Rotella T6 5w-40 (mostly to spite the naysayers, admittedly) during the summer and I don't expect it to effect my fuel economy at all.
I'm only running 5W30, but it's a thicker A3/B4 rated variety of Castrol Edge. Castrols specs are different in different markets, the 5W30 A3/B4 "Edge with Titanium FST" sold here has HTHS=3.6. This is my first run with this oil, previous oil was a thinner Dexos1 GF5 hths 2.9. So I was watching pretty closely for a change in fuel economy and there was none. I've got about 5k miles on it at the moment and been pretty happy with how it's been running. Just coming out of summer here now and I think I'll leave this in over winter and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back