2007 pontiac G6 gt pick my tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
need more than round and black?

what type of driving style? commute? wants?

traction, noise, mpg, wet traction, winter traction, expected treadlife?

start by rating how important those are.

IMO the most important function of a tyre is how it grips. Without grip you're not getting round that corner and you're not stopping at the red light.
As a safety concern, tyres are in joint first place with brakes as the MOST important part of the vehicle.

I've had excellent results with Yokohama on fast cars and ones that are driven hard, and I have had very good results with Michelin and Bridgestone on 'normal' cars.

Whatever you do, please DONT buy to a budget. People call cheap tyres 'Ditchfinders' for a reason
wink.gif

Looks like you need 225/50R17, right? Good tires in that size installed for under $500 requires shopping around. Maybe the new Altimax RT 43: http://is.gd/nTCWW6

If you have or can cheaply get 16" steelies that expands your options in affordable tires.

Goodyear is running a couple of rebate sales and instant rebates till the end of this month. Looking on the map, there are a couple of stores around your area ( at least around the area listed in your profile ). There are a couple of options for you :

1) Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
- 65k Warranty 94V rating 580 Treadwear A A Traction Temp Rating
- $139.77/ea - $15 Instant Discount per tire : $124.77/ea
- Install $19.50/ea
- $577.08 + Tax installed price
- $40 rebate on top of that ( $80 if you use a goodyear card, 6mnth no interest financing as well )
- So either [$577.08 + Tax - $80] OR [$577.08 + Tax - $40]

Now the better deal, if you get a Goodyear card would be the

2) Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring
- 70k Warranty 94V rating 640 Treadwear A Traction Rating
- 4 x $163.77 each tire (size: 225/50R17 94 V) $655.08
- 4 x $19.50 installation fee $78.00
(wheel balance, valve stems, tire disposal)
- Included Tire mount, shop supplies, wheel alignment check FREE
- $60 off instant savings -$60.00
- Eligible for $80 mail-in rebate or $160 rebate with the Goodyear Credit Card. Subject to credit approval.
- Estimated in-store total*(includes instant savings) $673.08 + Tax
- Potential savings after additional rebates & discounts -$160.00
- Bringing your total to ( $673.08 + Tax ) less $160 Rebate
- Pretty decent deal for a good riding decent traction long warranty tire. Personally own a set of these and the only complaint so far is wet traction at take off is lacking ( once moving, they cope with water just fine, under braking as well ). And based on the wear I am seeing, with my driving style ( aggressive ), they will at least last me 60k+. Their winter traction is phenomenal considering it isnt an aggressive tread design. Havent gotten stuck in snow/ice once. Plow through the white stuff just fine.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Hankook Optimo H727. Somebody has to...
+1

Originally Posted By: volk06
cooper CS4
+1

H727, CS4, Pirelli P4s and Michelin Defenders - those are the four I'd be looking at for everyday use.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Goodyear is running a couple of rebate sales and instant rebates till the end of this month. Looking on the map, there are a couple of stores around your area ( at least around the area listed in your profile ). There are a couple of options for you :

1) Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
- 65k Warranty 94V rating 580 Treadwear A A Traction Temp Rating
- $139.77/ea - $15 Instant Discount per tire : $124.77/ea
- Install $19.50/ea
- $577.08 + Tax installed price
- $40 rebate on top of that ( $80 if you use a goodyear card, 6mnth no interest financing as well )
- So either [$577.08 + Tax - $80] OR [$577.08 + Tax - $40]

Now the better deal, if you get a Goodyear card would be the

2) Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring
- 70k Warranty 94V rating 640 Treadwear A Traction Rating
- 4 x $163.77 each tire (size: 225/50R17 94 V) $655.08
- 4 x $19.50 installation fee $78.00
(wheel balance, valve stems, tire disposal)
- Included Tire mount, shop supplies, wheel alignment check FREE
- $60 off instant savings -$60.00
- Eligible for $80 mail-in rebate or $160 rebate with the Goodyear Credit Card. Subject to credit approval.
- Estimated in-store total*(includes instant savings) $673.08 + Tax
- Potential savings after additional rebates & discounts -$160.00
- Bringing your total to ( $673.08 + Tax ) less $160 Rebate
- Pretty decent deal for a good riding decent traction long warranty tire. Personally own a set of these and the only complaint so far is wet traction at take off is lacking ( once moving, they cope with water just fine, under braking as well ). And based on the wear I am seeing, with my driving style ( aggressive ), they will at least last me 60k+. Their winter traction is phenomenal considering it isnt an aggressive tread design. Havent gotten stuck in snow/ice once. Plow through the white stuff just fine.

Former GY Assurance Fuel Max/Eagle LS Owner here......
Don't........
mad.gif

I had to get GY to "prorate/adjust" my $700 set of Max's due to out of round, [censored] poor wet traction, and horrendous sidewall cracking after less then 4y/20k On my VillaQuest
I have since gotten Comfortread Touring's, And while they flat spot for a block or two in frigid weather, they're much better. Only time will tell however if they will hold up well.
I'd go for a TireRack
Either the Pirelli's at the top of the list
The GY Comfortread Touring's
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum's
Or, For the $4 more then Defender's, 225/50R17 98V Primacy MXM4's

I have a set of TPC-spec GY Fuel Max tires on my Cruze. Well, a second set since they were acceptable enough and the price was right for a second set. The originals were at 4/32" with about 42-45k miles on them, and they were hydroplaning during rainstorms at highway speeds. Dry performance was great, though!

I'll agree that they aren't the best tires in the wet, and are mediocre at best in the snow. They get through the snow, but feel pretty stiff and wooden during snow driving. The low-temperature performance of the GY AFM isn't great. They're more a 3-season all-season rather than a all-season that can handle snow. Getting caught out in the snow on them made me glad to switch to my winter tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back