2007 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L V8 | Valvoline Blend 5W20 3,125 Miles

Hi, guys. Here's my first report on my recently purchased '07 Marquis. Did a short interval since this car sat a lot before I bought it. Only thing that makes me nervous in the report is the slightly high silicon value, which I somewhat expected because I changed the air filter once during this interval, then checked it 3 weeks later to find out it was not fitting right and may not have been sealing correctly. Not sure if the air cleaner box is warped, or if the filter was deformed, for some reason. I replaced it with an AEM DryFlow drop in and it fits very well. Thankfully, judging by the wear numbers, I caught it before it had a chance to do any real damage to the engine.

Attachments

• Grand Marquis Report.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Nice report! Good engine and good oil!!
Thanks! I've always been a big Ford fan. Especially the Mod Motors. The 3 valve Mod Motor in my Ford pickup truck is one of the Mod Motors I don't care for (never had any trouble out of it though and gives great oil reports)... but these 2v engines seem to be bulletproof.

Nice. A relative of mine has a Grand Marquis like this too.

One thing I would recommend is to not use the Motorcraft FL-820S oil Filter. Apparently, the media tears a lot on this filter even for short intervals.
Thanks! I've heard of that issue, as well. I'm currently running an 820S as we speak. Might run a WIX next change. Looking to run 5,000 mile +/- intervals, after this next change. Just need to make sure I have my silicon issue resolved.

07 Merc.PNG

Last edited:
I can’t wait for @CKN to see this one! A Grand Marquis under 300,000 miles! 😁
Lol, people have that reaction over the miles on this car all the time. I bought it in August with 58,700 miles. I've drove it a LOT. Found it on Craigslist. I couldn't pass up such a low mile Panther! 😀

Nice. A relative of mine has a Grand Marquis like this too.

One thing I would recommend is to not use the Motorcraft FL-820S oil Filter. Apparently, the media tears a lot on this filter even for short intervals.
Could they make higher silicon levels since its not filtering correctly. I would think so.

Could they make higher silicon levels since its not filtering correctly. I would think so.
That's an interesting thought. I haven't thought about that. I use the same filter on my F-150 5.4L, though and so far, the silicon hangs around 9-10 PPM. That's with an AFE Cold Air Intake. I'm going to do another analysis next oil change on this car again. Going to drop it early after 3,000 miles of use. Hoping it comes down. I think part of my issue is a warped air box on this car. Kind of has a bow in the middle of it.

Hi, guys. Here's my first report on my recently purchased '07 Marquis. Did a short interval since this car sat a lot before I bought it. Only thing that makes me nervous in the report is the slightly high silicon value, which I somewhat expected because I changed the air filter once during this interval, then checked it 3 weeks later to find out it was not fitting right and may not have been sealing correctly. Not sure if the air cleaner box is warped, or if the filter was deformed, for some reason. I replaced it with an AEM DryFlow drop in and it fits very well. Thankfully, judging by the wear numbers, I caught it before it had a chance to do any real damage to the engine.
Don't worry about it. Our Crown Vic is close to 400,000 miles and we plan to retire it this year due to rust issues.

These engines are indestructible,so sit back and enjoy the ride.

Don't worry about it. Our Crown Vic is close to 400,000 miles and we plan to retire it this year due to rust issues.

These engines are indestructible,so sit back and enjoy the ride.
Thanks. I'm just so OCD about everything I own. These 4.6s are definitely amazing though. Just sad to see these cars, along with the 4.6, not made anymore.

Thanks. I'm just so OCD about everything I own. These 4.6s are definitely amazing though. Just sad to see these cars, along with the 4.6, not made anymore.
Yeah I'm the same way, trust me. I've been taking care of this car for the last 14 years. It's paid for itself many times over. I've used 5w30 & 5w20 in the engine, which has never had the valve covers off. The car also has the original transmission. 😉

Yeah I'm the same way, trust me. I've been taking care of this car for the last 14 years. It's paid for itself many times over. I've used 5w30 & 5w20 in the engine, which has never had the valve covers off. The car also has the original transmission. 😉
Nice. What year? I honestly would argue the 4.6 2v Modular is the best V8 ever made. Many would argue with me on that, but I truly believe it.

You'll be driving that car for awhile. Reliability wise,we drove the car everywhere. All that's new on this car is the fuel pump,replaced the factory intake (cracked plastic intake manifold was a common problem) and front suspension parts. Otherwise it's all been just been the typical maintenance stuff.

You'll be driving that car for awhile. Reliability wise,we drove the car everywhere. All that's new on this car is the fuel pump,replaced the factory intake (cracked plastic intake manifold was a common problem) and front suspension parts. Otherwise it's all been just been the typical maintenance stuff.
That's incredible. My next door neighbor has a 1997 Ford F-150 with the 4.6 as well and he drove it from new until 2017 when he had a stroke and could not drive anymore. That thing has like 450k on it and still runs fine, but it's been sitting for a few years not getting driven, since his medical issue.

Nice Merc. How's the interior look?
Thanks! Here's a few pics. Interior is in pretty good condition. The carpet has a few spots under the mats, but nothing major, Just need to get some rubber floor mats in her and I'll be all set! Car is a blast to drive and will cruise at 100 MPH like nothing. That 2.73 ratio is great for that.

Mercury 4.PNG

Mercury 2.PNG

Mercury 3.PNG

Back