2007 Mazda CX-7, 2.3L Turbo, MotorCraft 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the dealer's reasoning, 5W-30 is the recommended oil and that's what ought to be used, at least for the time being. I'm not opposed to trying non-spec weights, in fact I'm getting ready to try out 5W-20 in my 5W-30 spec'd Civic. But that's only after getting some solid baseline data on how 5W-30 performs.

If the engine is still breaking in, which we do not in fact know, then of course this latest UOA shows improvement over the previous. This is obvious and not really useful for the purpose of comparing wear #s. That's part of why I see little value in very early UOAs.

I did a search and found another Mazda 2.3 that showed 11 ppm of Cu at 10k. As you said, it was a normal, non-turbo, non-DI engine, and perhaps not a valid comparison. But, I don't know where the Cu in this engine actually is. Is it anywhere that either the turbo or the effect of DI would show? Do you know the metalliurgy of the various components in this engine?

As you said, wear is dropping compared to the previous sample. My point is that if this engine is still wearing in, this is the only expected result. ANY oil would show the same. If this engine is finished wearing in, then this Cu value may be problematic. WE DON'T KNOW when these engines stop showing elevated break in metals. I'm just trying to go on what we've got. And right now we don't have much. I'm trying to point out some unknowns that merit some additional attention.

jeff

blackdiamon,

I agree! I bet I would have had to asked them to use 5W-30. I never knew they had installed 5W-20 until after I got home and saw the receipt. I simply let it be!

greenjp,

We are finally seeing eye to eye! I totally agree with your last post. From what I see in these two reports, I'd like to think the engine is still breaking-in copper wise (like Chevys do). The next report is crucial and should show a 40-50% reduction in copper; otherwise something might in fact be up.
The fuel is what's really got me nervous. This report could have looked considerably better had it not been for the excess fuel.

Rick

blackdiamond,

Have you done any UOAs on you Speed3 yet? I could really use a report from your car!

Alright, you've got a deal. Hopefully the next UOA shows a big drop in Cu. In the meantime, may I suggest that you go with an xW-30 synthetic?
wink.gif
xW-20 just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy for a xW-30 spec'd, fuel diluting turbo engine. At least not until the break-in has settled down and there's some baseline data.

jeff

Groucho,

DUDE, long time no talkie to ya! Same for my good ol' boy Pablo! How's it going?

To be honest, the 5W-20 does make me a bit nervous with all that fuel in it. I will let this current batch of 5W-20 run out to 3k miles and then re-sample. I will most likely go with a 5W-30. Might go synthetic or just MC blend.

I know where you are coming from greenjp.....I promise not to ever mess with 5W-20 again if it shows bad results next time. If it does good, then I will consider its continued use, as it can save me money on gas.

We'll just have to wait and see!

I have this engine in my Speed6 and Ill be doing a UOA when the time comes. I bought it used at 10,000 miles, so once I get the service records from the dealer, I'll know more about what was done and what was used. I did put in 3 oz or so of Lube Control when I got it home though.
smile.gif

Quote:

blackdiamond,

Have you done any UOAs on you Speed3 yet? I could really use a report from your car!

I am considering doing one at the 10,000 mile change in about 2,500 miles. It would be a 5,000 mi OCI with 5w-30 Mobil 1. No promises as I'm still trying to determine if the cost is worth the knowledge, but we will see.

I can understand the dealer's mistake. All 2.3l Mazda engines except the Turbo's call for 5w20 oil. Only the Turbos call for 5w30. That's no excuse, but an easy mistake would be to assume all 2.3's use same oil.

I have a CX-7 and my dealer overfilled mine when I had its first change at ~1000 miles. I noticed the mistake when I refueled. I took it back in and asked them to drain it out which they did, no problem. They claim they use Motorcraft syn blend 5w30.

Not only does my manual call for 5w30, but it specifically says to use "SL". I made that observation here a couple of weeks ago and the responses indicated I must be reading an old manual. I find it interesting that 2007 is the first model year of this car and the manual was copyrighted in April, 2006. I wonder why they spec an older formulation oil that just happens to have more ZDDP.

While I was in for the oil change, I also had the dealer "flash upgrade" the transmission and the engine to the latest software version. The tranny flash helps to solve surging at steady speeds between 50-80mph and the engine flash helps to handle low end turbo lag/spoolup. These are two different upgrades and if you have not had this done yet, it may help the fuel dilution. Too early to tell for sure, but it seems to have helped on both counts. The wifey noticed a positive difference.

I will be getting a Dyson analysis at my next OCI for baseline purposes, but with only 1300 miles on the odo, that will be a few months. I will put about 4-5000 on this oil. With this fuel dilution issue you have uncovered, I want to be on top of it!

Terry has shown his genius on other vehicles that I own. I was lucky enough to win a free interpretation on a BITOG contest about 18 months or so ago. Terry read a series of old analyses I had from another analyzer and proceeded to tell me about problems I didn't know I had. My $38 repair resulted in mpg going from 14.5 to 19 in a 1996 Ranger 4.0l.

Back to the issue at hand. If it turns out these engines are prone to fuel dilution and high particulates, let's keep communicating about it. That way we can all solve this issue together. I am sure glad I have a few gallons of Amsoil HDD 5w30 laying around... That's what'll be in mine after this next change!

tjones,

Are you sure the manual doesn't say SL or later formulation? I'll double check mine. Also, this vehicles came out in 06....something like July or August 06. I bought mine in October 06, that's probably why the manual is dated 06.
As far as flash updates, I have them all. They even upgraded the fuel cap and the bottom door seal. Yours might not need those depending on its production date.

Guys, I suspect all these MZR engines are going to have the fuel problem. I think the main culprit is the direct injection combined with a very rich tuning. I can not wait for you all to do at least one UOA, so we can start trending these engines.

Funny you say that because I've run 87 octane a few times and never had any problems. For some reason, it seemed MPGs may have taken a tiny hit.....but I can't confirm that. I never heard any pinging or knocking even when floored!

Interesting post Max! You've really aroused my curiosity. May have to try 87 again!

Oh yeah, more evidence that I should go back to 5W-30 to combat some of the fuel dilution. Also, a reflash or better yet, a tune, is urgently needed for these engines.
I've removed the intake baffle and deflector from the airbox. Seems to be able to breather a bit better. Hope that also helps lean out the mixture. I do plan on getting a cold air intake.

Quote:

Oh yeah, more evidence that I should go back to 5W-30 to combat some of the fuel dilution. Also, a reflash or better yet, a tune, is urgently needed for these engines.
I've removed the intake baffle and deflector from the airbox. Seems to be able to breather a bit better. Hope that also helps lean out the mixture. I do plan on getting a cold air intake.

Check out the CPE intake...it may fit on the CX-7 (although I don't know what the clearances are like in that engine bay). CPE did quite a bit of work on keeping the A/F's very near stock. I have seen reports of the Mazdaspeed intake throwing off the MAF on some setups (certainly with more heavily modded cars).

Anything you can do to lean the mix out a bit will be good.

Last Z,

Fuel dilution will cause increased Cu and Fe wear numbers. It sounds to me that you want everyone to bless your decisions about this engine. Well, they are not going to do that. Maybe the copper is normal, maybe it's not. You might want to send an additional oil sample through Terry Dyson the next time, and have him give you the premium analysis. He has extensive experience with engines that have fuel dilution issues, especially DI engines.

Terry has worked miracles with my RS4 engine, by having a custom oil blend for Renewable Lubricants cooked up. It has dropped fuel dilution in my FSI engine by 2:1, and dropped wear by 3:1. Renewable Lubrications have some marvelous Bio-Synthetic oil blends that are state-of-the-art in their base and additive formulations, and happen to mitigate increased wear from fuel dilution. Even if you don't use Terry and you choose to self-diagnose, you might want to try their 5W-30 Super High Performance Oil

Just throwing this in...

I have a 2.3 in my Focus. I watched the fuel economy steadily improve in the first 5,000 or so miles. Went up almost 3 MPG. I figure that this engine takes about that long to finish up it's break-in. I'd be hesitant to make any conclusions from oil run in the first 5,000 miles in this particular engine line.

Quote:

Just throwing this in...

I have a 2.3 in my Focus. I watched the fuel economy steadily improve in the first 5,000 or so miles. Went up almost 3 MPG. I figure that this engine takes about that long to finish up it's break-in. I'd be hesitant to make any conclusions from oil run in the first 5,000 miles in this particular engine line.

+1 to that. Very good point.

RI_S4,

YIKES! Easy does it! Wear HAS improved! I am not ignoring the fuel dilution and I am definitely not asking for any blessings!

I think VaderSS hit it on the head...it might be too early and still during break-in to panic about this not-so-bad report.

Update: I did add some STP additive to increase viscosity and Zinc. I know there are better ways to do this, didn't feel like dumping the oil!

Update!

I changed the oil this weekend (MC 5W-20) as it had a strong fuel smell to it. I dumped it because I'm afraid it will shear down too much and cause undue wear. I sent the sample in today and should have it early next week. I replaced it with Chevron 15W-40 and some Pennzoil 5W-20 to thin it down a bit. I'm hoping the thicker viscosity and added detergents can contain some of the fuel and clean things up a bit! I expect this latest sample to have 1.5% or more fuel in it!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back