2007 Ford Escape 2.3L Under Valve Cover Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This last weekend I attempted a valve cover gasket repair/replacement for the first time. My shop said it was seeping last time I had it in for them to check some AC work they did. I'd say they were right. While no serious dripping had occurred, there was pools of oil in spark plug openings 2 & 4. Spark plug opening #3 was dry but deposits from previous oil pooling were easily seen (it was very dark colored down at the plug). Plug hole 1 was completely clean.

I took some pics while I had it open. I apologize for the pic quality as it was just my phone I had around. I knew it was likely I wouldn't like what I saw but I was still disappointed. History of the escape:
- 139,500 miles on it
- owned since new (march 2007)
- first 70k miles was Pennzoil Platinum 5w20
- 50k miles Kendall Blend 5w20
- Last 10k miles has been Trop artic 5W30
- Synthetic was never run more than 7,500 miles
- Blends/conventional were never run over 5,000 miles
- just about 95% of anything dark in the pictures is a stain/varnish. It could not be wiped clean. The only areas that wiped clean were where the gaskets sit.

In my experience to date, conventionals changed at proper intervals do not have the ability to keep an engine clean. This seems to continue to confirm that belief. Of course because of this I do not think conventional oils can clean if they can't keep something clean.

When I get my free oil used up, I will switch to full synthetic. I hope to keep this Escape until the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced again. Hopefully I will have some evidence whether or not a full synthetic can help clean this at all.

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

Obviously the oil wasn't up to the high temps but that engine seems to have a real hot spot on that first cylinder for some reason. Is the plug color significantly different on that first one?
It could be just the lighting. Is it adding a little fuel when you check the fuel trims?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Obviously the oil wasn't up to the high temps but that engine seems to have a real hot spot on that first cylinder for some reason. Is the plug color significantly different on that first one?
It could be just the lighting. Is it adding a little fuel when you check the fuel trims?

Like the actual color of the plug? When I replaced spark plugs all plugs looked the same. I still have them. I can post pics but I don't know which ones were in which location anymore.

I have no way to check fuel trims.

I found it interesting the intake side of the engine is so much darker than the exhaust side.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the pictures. Some parts of that engine are much cleaner than other parts. You are running good oils at reasonable intervals, but I suspect you are right about conventional oil. Not that the varnish will cause you any problem.

Yes the plug color. You can see what I am looking at right? Is that a pretty accurate color as in the picture. The first picture lower left is darker then gets progressively lighter as you look to the right.
Its probably nothing but it does seem a little unusual, is the PCV in that area? Post a picture of the underside of the cover if you can.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

I found it interesting the intake side of the engine is so much darker than the exhaust side.

I think varnish forms on the colder surfaces first.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes the plug color. You can see what I am looking at right? Is that a pretty accurate color as in the picture. The first picture lower left is darker then gets progressively lighter as you look to the right.
Its probably nothing but it does seem a little unusual, is the PCV in that area? Post a picture of the underside of the cover if you can.

Yes, the pictures represent the coloring very accurately if not exactly. Lighting was great for pics.

The PCV is below the intake manifold. So it is way down below the front (bottom side first pic). It is in the middle of the engine when going left to right if I remember right. I wouldn't call it real close to anything shown in these pictures.

The valve cover is black plastic. It was perfectly fine. No deposits. All oil just wiped right off. There was no point in taking a pic because it just looked like wet black plastic. But I examined every corner of that cover looking for any signs of deposits and could not find any.

EDIT: Picture number 2 is upside down but that is a close up of the intake side of piston 1, where you were asking about.

Last edited:
Pictures 2, 3 & 4 are upside down if anyone hadn't noticed yet.

I agree that it's not problematic but I too would be disappointed after running good oils at reasonable intervals.

I have this engine (in the 2.5 version) in my new Escape and these pictures are making me re-think my planned OCI schedule.

It is interesting that Tig has run Mobil 1 at 10K intervals in this engine and his valve train looks spotless.
I would have thought that the PP and Kendall blend would have kept it similarly clean.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Just goes to show you that syn oil is no better than dino. You just have less money in your pocket.

I don't think this shows that. It might, but I won't take that stance based on this.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Just goes to show you that syn oil is no better than dino. You just have less money in your pocket.

How do you come to this conclusion? Synthetic was used first 70000 conventional basically the last 60000...

Originally Posted By: pbm
How much 'highway'....how much 'city' driving?

Over its life, probably 70% of the miles are highway. No super short trips. Most short trips were at least 10-15 minutes of driving.

It has been in a garage all of its life so very few super cold starts as the garage never drops below 50-55F.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: pbm
How much 'highway'....how much 'city' driving?

Over its life, probably 70% of the miles are highway. No super short trips. Most short trips were at least 10-15 minutes of driving.

It has been in a garage all of its life so very few super cold starts as the garage never drops below 50-55F.

That's pretty much the same usage that my 16' Escape will get and my garage also never goes below 50* to 55*F.....this engine should be spotless with your OCI and usage...I don't get it..

PS: As I said earlier, it's not problematic....a little varnish never hurt anything but I expected better....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back