2007 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 - Larger Oil Filter?

Our 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 uses a Fram PH3614 spin-on or equivalent.

Oil capacity with a filter change is 4.7 litres.

I'm looking for a slightly larger filter (with an extra 300 ml of capacity) so as to take the oil capacity up to an even 5 l. I'd also appreciate the slightly greater overall amount of oil so as to buy me a little extra oil life over the winter. (I know, it's pretty token, but this is BITOG.)

Can anyone point me to a chart of oil filters that would list equivalents except with more capacity? Obviously the hole diameter, threads, and gasket need to stay the same.

(Not an issue for the other two vehicles I regularly service, which use cartridge filters.)

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this.

Have you tried google? :) Link.

I was looking at some of the cross reference links, but then I spied this BITOG thread, maybe the answer is in there. Link.

Personally, I'd just tip in the bottle and not care about it being slightly over, I've not had an issue with slightly over--it's not like there is zero tolerance to being slightly over.

I believe the PH3600 is the same except longer. The PH8A (Motorcraft FL1-A) has the same threads and gasket size, but has a bigger OD as well as being longer.

Fram 3600
Wix 51516
Purolator 20195

My Saturn is the same way, 3614 regular, 3600 oversize…
3600 has the same base as 3614…
PH8a is a different base…

Have you tried google? :) Link.

I was looking at some of the cross reference links, but then I spied this BITOG thread, maybe the answer is in there. Link.

Personally, I'd just tip in the bottle and not care about it being slightly over, I've not had an issue with slightly over--it's not like there is zero tolerance to being slightly over.
I tried Google and struck out, but the BITOG thread you linked is excellent. Thanks!

I believe the PH3600 is the same except longer. The PH8A (Motorcraft FL1-A) has the same threads and gasket size, but has a bigger OD as well as being longer.
The PH8A fits my 99 caravan 3.3 . I use a fram XG8a for multiple oil change intervals.
Fram 3600
Wix 51516
Purolator 20195

My Saturn is the same way, 3614 regular, 3600 oversize…
3600 has the same base as 3614…
PH8a is a different base…
PH16 is the fat version of the 3614
Thanks all, very good information.

I need to crawl under and see how much longer and/or wider a filter I can use.

IMO 1/3 of a liter isn’t going to hurt anything. I’d dump in 5L and roll on.

Just my $0.02
I'm sure you're right.

For what it's worth, I calculated the extra exterior volume of the PH3600 and the PH8A.

The PH3600 is 196 cc larger. But much of the extra volume would be taken up by the larger filter element. Reasonable to assume it would hold an extra 100 cc of oil?

For the PH8A, 347 cc and perhaps 150 to 200 cc more oil.

Back