2007 Acura TSX Brake Service

Friend's TSX, 118K. We had pad slapped it 3 years ago at 75K. Started to have a little pulsation under freeway load.
Pads were evenly worn and were at 1/2 life.

Here's the bad part:
The Honda rotor assembly screws, one was missing on each wheel and 1 was badly mangled. But we got it out with the impact screwdriver and little sledge.
The passenger caliper bracket lower bolt hole was stripped; there were about 1/3 of the threads left. The rest were in the bolt. Would not hold torque.
I called around; O'Reilly warehouse store had one for $25. Score! The new bolts were $5 for 2. Not too shabby.

Used the Element 3 pads and rotors. Cleaned the hub but everything looked great.
I don't know who put the rotors on last time, but sheesh.
All's well that ends well.

Everything I've worked on has had the caliper mount made of iron or steel. Given the amount of torque it requires to remove one, it'd take a real gorilla to strip one while installing. Are those aluminum? Never seen one, but I understand it's not unheard of.

The rotor screws being stripped/mangled, that's a regular occurrence on most older used vehicles I've purchased (that have them). People like to use hand screwdrivers and strip them to death; can't say I've never done it once, but gotta learn somehow... :)

The 1st gen TSX brakes are run of the mill Accord components. The bracket is iron; I am not sure how you pull the threads out of it but it happens.
On the passenger side, the assembly screw shank was in the rotor hole; the head was MIA.

Just shabby work.

Everything I've worked on has had the caliper mount made of iron or steel. Given the amount of torque it requires to remove one, it'd take a real gorilla to strip one while installing. Are those aluminum? Never seen one, but I understand it's not unheard of.

The rotor screws being stripped/mangled, that's a regular occurrence on most older used vehicles I've purchased (that have them). People like to use hand screwdrivers and strip them to death; can't say I've never done it once, but gotta learn somehow... :)
What I don't get is why people put 'em back in if they are mangled? And they certainly don't need to be very tight...

The 1st gen TSX brakes are run of the mill Accord components. The bracket is iron; I am not sure how you pull the threads out of it but it happens.
My son stripped one of the caliper bracket bolt holes on his '12 Accord. Sounds like it's common ? He used a heli-coil before we realized you could buy just the bracket and not the complete assembly of bracket and caliper.

i have done a few hondas in my life and the only way i see stripping the caliper bolt is by cross threading it and then banging it on with a gun. those things if i remember are torqued to 75 ft lbs

now the rotor screws is pretty common. people think its a #2 phillips but its a # 3 japanese

My son stripped one of the caliper bracket bolt holes on his '12 Accord. Sounds like it's common ? He used a heli-coil before we realized you could buy just the bracket and not the complete assembly of bracket and caliper.
$25 at O'Reilly; I was lucky there was one at a local store 15 minutes away. There were rebuilt caliper assemblies available which included the bracket, like you mentioned. They were about $65. A heli-coil fix was $50.

i have done a few hondas in my life and the only way i see stripping the caliper bolt is by cross threading it and then banging it on with a gun. those things if i remember are torqued to 75 ft lbs

now the rotor screws is pretty common. people think its a #2 phillips but its a # 3 japanese

My favorite is when someone puts them in the with wrongest bit in their toolbox and the most powerful tool they have, and then add some rust on top. Drill, pliars, and a trip straight into the trashcan for those.

Ran across one with loctite on it as well.

I can't remember if my Accord has any of them left or not. Haven't had the wheels off in forever. I'd rather people just leave them off instead of buggering the things to death.

My favorite is when someone puts them in the with wrongest bit in their toolbox and the most powerful tool they have, and then add some rust on top. Drill, pliars, and a trip straight into the trashcan for those.

Ran across one with loctite on it as well.
The Mercedes ones actually have loctite blue on then and they are specified as one-time use fasteners.

$25 at O'Reilly; I was lucky there was one at a local store 15 minutes away. There were rebuilt caliper assemblies available which included the bracket, like you mentioned. They were about $65. A heli-coil fix was $50.
If you keep a timesert kit around, it is a several dollar fix.

A heli-coil fix was $50.
Yeah, that too. We didn't own a thread repair kit, heli-coils, etc and I was quite shocked about the price. Afterwards, we talked about it and he just shrugged his shoulders.... It was fixed at that point and he learned how to do a thread repair, so move on.

Back