2007 Acura MDX oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lemonade
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
What kind of oil filter wrench do I need? Anybody know?

Got a service manual ordered and on the way.

Not exactly sure about the layout of your engine, but on my 05 TL(j32) and 06 Odyssey (j35), if you turn the steering wheel all the way to right, you can actually see the oil filter from the right space between the right fender and the wheel, and it is easily acessible from that space. To me, it is better than unscrew the filter from the bottom.
I personally believe filter wrench is really not necessary, i rather use that $ to buy a torque wrench. (yeah, i know a torque wrench is more expensive than a filter wrench.)

Back to the oil change interval, using a name brand dino according to the OLM is fine, and if it comes to 1 change per year, then switching to synthetic is not that much $ difference if that makes you sleep better.

I drive lots of local on my TL last year, i only get 4700 miles before it hit 0%, and i drive another 1000 miles because it's on a synthetic.
Curious, how many quarts of oil according to the manual? Both my J32 and J35 are 4.5 qts, but i always add 5.
My previous IS300 takes 5.7 qt, and Lexus ask for 5k oil change for severe service, on 5th gear the car rev at 3000rpm @ about 72 mph, so more qt of oils is understandable.

Manual says 4.5 quarts. This MDX did just about 5k miles last year and says 30% on the minder still.

Still not totally decided on the brand of oil but leaning towards getting a synthetic just for the amount of time between changes it did this time.

Went to the auto center on post today and ended up getting PP @ 5w20 (per manual). Decided to go synthetic after checking the oil today and seeing it was very dark. Went penzoil because it was the only brand they had 5 qts in stock in.

Again, very new at this whole thing (haven't attempted to work on my own cars since I was a poor seminary student 20+ years ago).

Will give it a go later this week when the supplies I orderd online come in (filter wrench, oil filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter, and service manual).

Thanks for everybodys' help. I'll post my results.

Got it done this afternoon. Went pretty smoothly (knocks on wood). Lift wasn't available so I did it on jackstands. Oil that came out was really dark. Replaced the oil and filter. Didn't use the torque wrench after all. There was a piece of the frame (actually I think it was to keep oil from shooting out because I eventually took it of) that kept anything much wider that a short socket from going in to work. After I took that little piece off, the depth of the wrench was not longer a problem but the length of the torque wrench was. Guy at the autocraft center said it wasn't a problem to just put it on as tight as I could by hand and let it do. Didn't have another choice so I just did it that way.

Was going to take a picture down the fill hole but didn't realize till I really started fiddling with it that it is way down in there and the engine cowling overhangs it a bit.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back