2007 5.7 Hemi first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
zstand
Will your son be towing a small equipment trailer with the Charger? Rotella Gas Truck oil should work well. Hard to beat the value of Wix filters also.

Probably not. I have a k3500 we pull our trailer with. I do like the Rotella oil you mentioned and picked some up cheap for my stash a while back. Our local parts store carries Hastings filters and I was thinking those were considered a decent choice by some on this forum.

zstand
Will your son be towing a small equipment trailer with the Charger? Rotella Gas Truck oil should work well. Hard to beat the value of Wix filters also.

Probably not. I have a k3500 we pull our trailer with. I do like the Rotella oil you mentioned and picked some up cheap for my stash a while back. Our local parts store carries Hastings filters and I was thinking those were considered a decent choice by some on this forum.

Originally Posted by zstand
zstand

Hastings or the similar or same Baldwin filter would do well on your truck's engine.

The PCV valves go bad in Dodge Ram V-8 engines from the 2000's era trucks. Change it.

They are cheap plastic & usually will break when you change them out. Easy fix and inexpensive.

Also, are you sure this is the 5.7 Hemi and not the 4.7 V-8 motor? The 4.7 is prone to water/coolant leaks....which may or may not compromise the oil at some point.

My old 4.7 in a Dodge Ram 2002 did this. And the PCV was also bad.

No issues yet with the 5.7, other than an occasional tick.

Like others said, remove a valve cover to see more evidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Greg L
The PCV valves go bad in Dodge Ram V-8 engines from the 2000's era trucks. Change it.

They are cheap plastic & usually will break when you change them out. Easy fix and inexpensive.

Also, are you sure this is the 5.7 Hemi and not the 4.7 V-8 motor? The 4.7 is prone to water/coolant leaks....which may or may not compromise the oil at some point.

My old 4.7 in a Dodge Ram 2002 did this. And the PCV was also bad.

No issues yet with the 5.7, other than an occasional tick.

Like others said, remove a valve cover to see more evidence.

This is a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7 Hemi. We dumped the old oil and put 7 qts of Mobil 1 Annual Performance that I had in my stash in it. Getting a new PCV valve today. Hope to pull a valve cover off soon. That will tell me how long we will run this new oil.

So you're not going to go with the recommended 500 mile oci as a cleanup oil? That's what I would do and then use the Mobil 1 AP that you have on hand for a regular or slightly extended interval. Seems more prudent that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back