2006 sebring problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the sudden the cruise control quit, service engine light came on and engine started spitting and sputtering when you gas it sort of hard. Checked engine codes came up as #1 cam/crank alinement #2 multipal random misfire not sure what these have to do with cruise quiting but all happened at the same time. Any one have this problem or have any ideas ?

The ECU is likely programmed to disable cruise control when a serious malfunction is detected. They want you to be in full control of your car when it starts acting up in traffic.

I'd start with troubleshooting the valvetrain. I know VERY little about these cars, but if it has a timing belt, I'd start there. It may have slipped or lost some teeth.

Sounds like a crank position sensor problem to me. OR you crankshaft just sheared in half
shocked2.gif
You could have an issue witht he primary drive system as well. What engine/year?

Does it have a timing belt or chain? BTW, if you have a timing belt versus a chain I would take a look there as well as the CP sensor.

Last edited:
Belt will have black plastic cover behind the accessory drive. Chain will be in a sealed metal casing, may look like part of motor. Most likely belt for the 2.4.

Agree w/ above, moat likely a sensor issue.

How many miles?

M

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
Belt will have black plastic cover behind the accessory drive. Chain will be in a sealed metal casing, may look like part of motor. Most likely belt for the 2.4.

Agree w/ above, moat likely a sensor issue.

How many miles?

M

moat likely a sensor issue.

2.4 has a belt, my bet goes on the plug wires. Get an old windex bottle, fill it with water and a teaspoon of salt and spray the wires. If you see the fourth of july, you have your problem.

well I dont like leaving nothing undone so just to let you know, it was the crank senser, thanks for the advice guys.

Garage tried crank and cam senser with no luck, next is the timing belt, they can't believe with only 47,000 miles it's that. Said it must have backfired hard to jump timing but dad never heard that, so in time ($500.00 later) we'll see. Its his baby so a garage will get the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back