2006 Mazda 3 2.3L 94,000 miles, HM oil or nah?

High mileage oils are designed to treat symptoms of higher mileage: leaks/seepage, sludge buildup, ticking noises, etc. (HM oils are typically thicker than their normal oil counterparts.)

Here's the problem: many high mileage vehicles don't show any symptoms yet people still think they should use HM oil.

Don't fix a problem that you don't have. Keep using whatever the manufacturer recommends until you have a reason to change. My Tacoma has nearly 170,000 miles on non-HM oil, and it doesn't leak or tick or show any signs of high mileage. I will switch to HM oil when the symptoms appear, but not before then.

High mileage oils are designed to treat symptoms of higher mileage: leaks/seepage, sludge buildup, ticking noises, etc. (HM oils are typically thicker than their normal oil counterparts.)

Here's the problem: many high mileage vehicles don't show any symptoms yet people still think they should use HM oil.

Don't fix a problem that you don't have. Keep using whatever the manufacturer recommends until you have a reason to change. My Tacoma has nearly 170,000 miles on non-HM oil, and it doesn't leak or tick or show any signs of high mileage. I will switch to HM oil when the symptoms appear, but not before then.
fair enough how about as preventative measure tho? the reason i ask is because i got it for the same price!!

fair enough how about as preventative measure tho? the reason i ask is because i got it for the same price!!
Since your friend already has the HM oil, go ahead and use it. Just be aware that he doesn't need HM oil until the engine starts showing symptoms of high mileage.
The whole "75,000 miles" thing is bogus. 75k is NOT high mileage if the vehicle has seen regular maintenance. I think most modern vehicles are right in their prime at 75k.
My Tacoma (and your friend's Mazda) may go 250k + before they start showing symptoms. Who knows... I guess we'll see :D

Back