2006 Mazda 3 2.3L 94,000 miles, HM oil or nah?

My friend picked up a Mazda 3 2006 with the 2.L engine. Has 150,000km on it which is about 95,000 miles. Old owner doesn’t know what oil he used or what he got done at the shop but he assumes probably regular. Car doesn’t seem to have any active leaks or everything right now. We came to pick up some oil and found Mobil 1 high mileage on sale.

Would you say this is a good oil to use for the engine? Or is it not beneficial to use HM if there’s no leaks that we know of. I just thought to pickup the hm since it was cheap. However i judt wanan ensure that using an HM early won’t cause problems or if it’s better to use a normal oil for the engine. it was the same price as normal oil so we thought why not.

or maybe for my specific engine, is there a best oil? Like maybe the Mazda like a certain oil brand

thx

UPDATE just found out it has the 2.3L

Last edited:
Also there is about a million (give or take) threads on "regular" vs. high mileage oils. It is likely one of the top 5 discussions on this board, if you search around a bit I think you'll find there is lots to read.

If thats a rust belt 2006 mazda i would be more worried about how rotten the car may be underneath than which oil to use these cars are known to rot bad! hopefully not the issue for him.

Run whatever your wallet can afford and drive the car. In my Honda that has 243k miles, I run whatever I find. I've run all the HM oils you can think of, the only one that made a difference was Valvoline Maxlife HM. This past OC was Kirkland Signature, the next will be either Kirkland Signature or Mobil Super Synthetic and I pretty much always use a Purolator oil filter.

I have a 2009 Fusion with the same engine. Just crossed 200,000km without ever using high mileage (or synthetic) oil, but some minor oil seepage.

Recently switched to DIY for oil changes and my current rule is I will buy high mileage oil if it's within $5 of the standard oil - and my benchmark price is $14 Supertech or Kirkland Synthetic.

I just picked up two bottles of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage at Canadian Tire for $16 each after mail in rebate. For that price, I'll run it.

My friend picked up a Mazda 3 2006 with the 2.L engine. Has 150,000km on it which is about 95,000 miles. Old owner doesn’t know what oil he used or what he got done at the shop but he assumes probably regular. Car doesn’t seem to have any active leaks or everything right now. We came to pick up some oil and found Mobil 1 high mileage on sale.

Would you say this is a good oil to use for the engine? Or is it not beneficial to use HM if there’s no leaks that we know of. I just thought to pickup the hm since it was cheap. However i judt wanan ensure that using an HM early won’t cause problems or if it’s better to use a normal oil for the engine. it was the same price as normal oil so we thought why not.

or maybe for my specific engine, is there a best oil? Like maybe the Mazda like a certain oil brand

thx

UPDATE just found out it has the 2.3L

No leaks well then anything that's on sale works and if that's HM no harm done. I run whatever is on sale in the Corolla and I've never had any issues.

Marketing seems to work. Run high mileage oils . I ran 4 high mile oil changes in my 2015 ford F150 starting on my third oil change because I bought it on sale.

Back