2006 Mariner Hybrid 7091 miles Pennzoil Ultra 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: My 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid that has been converted to use a dual remote filter; one of which is a bypass.
Date of oil being placed into service: November 3rd 2012
Odometer at time of oil change: 50,757
Oil used: 6.5 quarts Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 SN/GF-5 full synthetic.
Filter: Amsoil EaO15 full-flow and EaBP90 bypass filter
Top Up: 8oz added at 3,016 miles. None added since then. No oil consumption or leaking.
Air filter: Performax PA-502, later changed to ACDelco A3157C Professional
Date of sample: July 7th 2013
Miles on oil: 7,091
Miles on vehicle at time of sample: 57,848
Oil Analysis Lab: ALS Tribology, Georgia branch, using a NAPA FIL 4077 sample kit.
Previous oil used: 4.5 quarts Red Line 0w-20
Current oil: Oil was not changed, just sampled.

2006%20Mercury%20Mariner%20Hybrid%20-%207091%20miles%20-%20Pennzoil%20Ultra%205w-20.png

It says Platinum, but it is Ultra.

VOA

Pennzoil%20Ultra%20SN%20GF-5%20VOA.png

Thank for posting this, we don't often see UOAs that sample the same oil multiple times.

We've heard that TBN doesn't decline in a linear fashion. Your samples sure seem to bear this out.

A the same time, this may also reflect the limitations of a modestly-priced UOA. For example:

1) copper and aluminum went down over the last 2,000 miles?
2) silicon hasn't moved at all over the last 6,000 miles?
3) the oil's viscosity first sheared, then thickened even though it has not been over-used?
Maybe there are good reasons for these changes. But if this is just an equipment-precision issue well, gosh: we bitogers obsess over a few ppm and this could call into question the whole UOA process.

Nonetheless, these are really good results for you and helpful pieces of information for the rest of us.

I am using really good air filters, so I am not surprised that the silicon hasn't increased. The ACDelco Professional air filters are about as good as air filtration gets.

I am wondering if the two bottles of Red Line SI-1 I have used during this time have caused some oil oxidation?

I am still very satisfied with this oil and the results. I wish the TBN didn't deplete so quickly, but it isn't bad. Oil consumption is non-existent.

I will probably do another UOA at 9,000 or 10,000 and then change the oil, but not filters, and then run it for another 5,000-7,000 miles. I have 4 quarts of the older SM stuff with the 12TBN that I might use to bump the TBN way up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back