2006 jeep GC 3.7 v6 fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
a co-worker of mines ask me to do his ATF, and 4x4 service for him.

dealership quoted him $199 for the ATF and $350 for the 4x4.

told him i'll do it all that and plugs for $200 plus cost of everything.

So what is recommended for these things...

2006 Jeep grand chairokee ( i know i spelled it wrong) about to hit 50k. Its a 3.7 V6. I was told by the dealership all trans fluids should be flush every 40-50k

AFAIK. his front and rear and TC should be like everything else on normal cars. I heard his ATF doesn't have a drain plug. so dropping the pan is needed. And there is a ATF filter like a oil filter design.

This is the info i got... not 100% if its correct.

transfer case is a NV140,Quadra-Trac I and uses Mopar® ATF+4, type 9602 0.7 qts. ( really only .7 qts???)

Trans is a W5A580 Mopar® ATF +4, type 9602, 4-6 qts.

did locate diff specs yet...

Last edited:
Use any ATF+4. Brand is unimportant, as they are essentially all the same. I used a parasynthetic 75W90 in the diffs of our 06 Liberty, and it works well.

if its the tranny I think it is, there are actually two filters inside: one that looks normal and one that looks like a screw on oil filter.

Yes, ATF+4 in tranny and xfer case. that capacity sounds low - most of the jeeps I have done hold 1.7 qts.

not sure on the new GC, but some of the liberty's actually have a drain plug on the front diff. (this is probably specific to the liberty)

The Jeep V6 transfer case has a vibration dampener assembly that has to be removed to access the drain plug, but it will be obvious how it comes off (4 bolts). Any ATF+4 will work fine.

The differentials need 75W-140 synthetic. 4 quarts will be plenty. I used Redline for my 06 Laredo.

The trany does have two filters both inside the pan. One standard large filter and one small filter. They should come as a set from the dealer or wherever you get your filters. The tricky thing with the V6 trany is there is no dipsitck to check the level. You will find a plug in the end of the tube. The dealer uses a special stick and his scanner to measure the ATF temp to get the level correct. Thats one of the reasons a fluid change costs a lot at the dealer. If you are very careful and dont spill any of the old fluid, just measure it and put back the same amount of new fluid as you removed (at room temp). If it doesnt shift right you may have to take it to the dealer to check the level.

You can go to one of the Jeep forums to get more details. jeepsunlimited.com or jeepforum.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hsd

The tricky thing with the V6 trany is there is no dipsitck to check the level. You will find a plug in the end of the tube. The dealer uses a special stick and his scanner to measure the ATF temp to get the level correct. Thats one of the reasons a fluid change costs a lot at the dealer. If you are very careful and dont spill any of the old fluid, just measure it and put back the same amount of new fluid as you removed (at room temp). If it doesnt shift right you may have to take it to the dealer to check the level.

Another BRIGHT idea from the makers... I swear i think sometimes its just there to make people bring the car to the dealership, is this dipstick available at the dealership. I also heard there are no drain plugs on the diffs as well. Gotta use a suction tool to remove..

on the XJ you need to remove the diff cover to completely drain the gear oil. most solid axles are like this

on newer euro trannies if fluid dribbles out the fill hose at the specified temp then the tranny is full. i'd guess jeep is the same way

drop the AT pan and be sure all the fluid enters a container with marks on it that show the level of fluid.

Next, add that much ATF+4 to the transmission.

A pan drop and filter is best, I know this because my mom's 2005 Jeep GC has had multiple AT pan gasket leaks.

Also, have some heli-coils ready. The threads on the transmission are easy to strip out.

The rear axle must have the cover pulled off to drain the fluid. Pull off the cover, and blast the gears and bearings with cleaner to remove the gray slime of death. Dry everything, put RTV on the cover, and re-assemble. Fill with 75w140 only. Some versions of the Jeep GC have limited slip, and if that is the case, be sure that your gear oil has it already in it. I have used Valvoline and Royal Purple in my mom's car, both of them already have friction modifier in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back