2006 F-150 5.4L Triton 187k Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 Purolator One

Just received my UOA from Blackstone. Little history on the truck, I bought it new, sat for the last 3 years until I recently gave it to my son and placed it back in service after a FULL maintenance. I ran a bypass filter on it since new but took it off for this OCI so my son wouldn't have to deal with it. I've also always used Mobil 1 in various forms and this truck has been flawless for the last 16+ years. I was concerned about it sitting for so long, but the numbers came back good.

For those that are wondering, the engine is all original and has never been opened up. I replaced all the pulleys and belt when we put it back into service and it's as quiet as it was when it was new. Goes to show that maintenance goes a long way with these 5.4 Tritons.

Attachments

• F150.jpg
    F150.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 157
I had a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4 engine and it ran great when I sold it at 225,000 miles. The oil was changed very frequently in that truck. The guy that owned it before I did changed it religiously at 3,000 miles at the dealership and used the mobile synthetic blend every time.

Just received my UOA from Blackstone. Little history on the truck, I bought it new, sat for the last 3 years until I recently gave it to my son and placed it back in service after a FULL maintenance. I ran a bypass filter on it since new but took it off for this OCI so my son wouldn't have to deal with it. I've also always used Mobil 1 in various forms and this truck has been flawless for the last 16+ years. I was concerned about it sitting for so long, but the numbers came back good.

For those that are wondering, the engine is all original and has never been opened up. I replaced all the pulleys and belt when we put it back into service and it's as quiet as it was when it was new. Goes to show that maintenance goes a long way with these 5.4 Triton.
The oil analysis looks good. It is good to see the Triton thriving. Have you ever had the spark plugs changed? I think that is the engine that has a weird spark plug design and very few threads to keep the plugs in place. Special tools were made to remove broken spark plugs and for thread repair. I have never worked on the Triton though.

I always wonder if the problems of the Tritons were exaggerated?

The oil analysis looks good. It is good to see the Triton thriving. Have you ever had the spark plugs changed? I think that is the engine that has a weird spark plug design and very few threads to keep the plugs in place. Special tools were made to remove broken spark plugs and for thread repair. I have never worked on the Triton though.

I always wonder if the problems of the Tritons were exaggerated?
This engine has a 2 piece spark plug design that was updated. I broke 1 the first time I changed them at 100k but I followed Fords TSB and put Nickel Anti-Seize on that set. At 182k I changed the plugs again, and they all came out like nothing so the nickel anti-seize held up well. Overall, I can't complain, I've gotten great service out of the 5.4 and now my son's had it for over a year with no issues.

Good news. I am glad your second spark plug change went better.

I used to sweat every spark plug change in my old 72 VW Beetle. I seem to recall short reach 14mm threads into an aluminum heads. Fortunately, I never stripped any threads, but crushing the sealing washer always made me nervous.

Back