2006 CR-V AWD Gas Mileage Dreams

Hi all,

⚠️Warning: potentially annoying post ahead⚠️

So after an unexpected hit and run (while parked!), my 2007 Honda Fit was totaled. The used car market is crazy right now and especially here in LA. After wanting another Fit, but being unable to find one with the right combination of features + price tag, I ended up with a 2006 Honda CR-V SE AWD. It's been loved :)rolleyes:) by 7 previous owners, had 168,000 miles when I bought it, no service records, and an aftermarket catalytic converter (OEM likely stolen).

Took it to a reputable Honda shop for a look over... they found an oil leak at the Vtec solenoid, but everything else checked out. Fluids were changed (oil+filter, trans, rear diff) along with the air filter, tires rotated and inflated, etc etc...

First tank of gas scored me 18MPG with mostly city driving. Coming from a 32MPG Fit... that hit hard.

For all the obvious reasons (including driving style), I know to expect much less fuel economy, but was hoping to see at least 21MPG city.

In an effort to balance costs with gains, I'm thinking of doing the following "tune up" items in an effort to improve MPG:
  • Blackstone analysis at next oil change
  • New plugs + coils
  • Valve adjustment
  • Fuel filter
  • annnnnnnd, what else, if anything?
Thanks!

Sounds normal to me. My wife's 07 Accord with the 2.4 averages 20-22 in-town with our hilly terrain.

Edit:

EPA rating is 20/25. 18 mpg for LA city driving is well within expectations.

Last edited:
Back when new, it was rated for 22 city/27 highway.

18 mpg isn't that far off from the current adjusted EPA rating of 20/25 mpg(YMMV)

Back when new, it was rated for 22 city/27 highway.

18 mpg isn't that far off from the current adjusted EPA rating of 20/25 mpg(YMMV)
It sure isn't.

"Sticker shock" of a different sort is happening then! Maybe it's time to get back into a Fit.

That's why you were able to get a CR-V for the price of a Fit :sneaky:

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to turn off the AWD in your CR-V like you can in a Subaru (and you probably don't need AWD in California)

Possibly, lowering it an inch and using smaller wheels and tires/minus sizing (narrower tread) might help, too.

It sure isn't.

"Sticker shock" of a different sort is happening then! Maybe it's time to get back into a Fit.

If Fit prices are still too high, you might also like the Saturn Astra. Would a Mazda2 work for you? :unsure:

Hi all,

⚠️Warning: potentially annoying post ahead⚠️

So after an unexpected hit and run (while parked!), my 2007 Honda Fit was totaled. The used car market is crazy right now and especially here in LA. After wanting another Fit, but being unable to find one with the right combination of features + price tag, I ended up with a 2006 Honda CR-V SE AWD. It's been loved :)rolleyes:) by 7 previous owners, had 168,000 miles when I bought it, no service records, and an aftermarket catalytic converter (OEM likely stolen).

Took it to a reputable Honda shop for a look over... they found an oil leak at the Vtec solenoid, but everything else checked out. Fluids were changed (oil+filter, trans, rear diff) along with the air filter, tires rotated and inflated, etc etc...

First tank of gas scored me 18MPG with mostly city driving. Coming from a 32MPG Fit... that hit hard.

For all the obvious reasons (including driving style), I know to expect much less fuel economy, but was hoping to see at least 21MPG city.

In an effort to balance costs with gains, I'm thinking of doing the following "tune up" items in an effort to improve MPG:
  • New plugs + coils
  • Valve adjustment
  • Fuel filter
Thanks!

☢️ Radio active response ahead;

That's pretty mediocre mileage for a four cylinder Honda. Your plan might get you some gains.

This may help;
Make the vehicle more aerodynamic by removing things that create drag. i.e. load bars, useless tchotchkes, right side mirror.
Make the vehicle lighter by getting rid of unnecessary cargo. If you don't frequently use the back seat, jettison it.
Go on a diet.
Wash and then carefully wax the vehicle with a synthetic car polish. Do this for effect not appearance.
Inflate the tires to max pressure allowed in owner's manual.
Buy quality gasoline.
Check air filter.
Drive with windows up and A/C off.
Imagine there is an egg between your right foot and the accelerator pedal.

If none of the above gets you to your vehicular Valhalla then just always

drive downhill. 🏁

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to turn off the AWD in your CR-V like you can in a Subaru (and you probably don't need AWD in California)

Possibly, lowering it an inch and using smaller wheels and tires/minus sizing (narrower tread) might help, too.

If Fit prices are still too high, you might also like the Saturn Astra. Would a Mazda2 work for you? :unsure:
It’s normally always off. It only engages when it sees excessive slip on the front wheels.

It is sometimes a good idea to disassemble the brakes and clean and lube the slide pins and pad contact areas. If a slide pin is sticking a brake can drag and that will effect MPGs. If nothing else, it does insure that when you really have to replace the pad the slide pins will be easy to remove.

That said, 18 MPG city in a CR-V is about normal.

I usually drive the same roads every day. And there are sections where there are traffic lights in a row that are not timed, so there is a high probability of having a red light at one of them. When I am about a half mile away I get off the gas and drift and let my vehicle slow down before getting there. Others often zoom past me in the fast lane, and then around the bend they have to brake hard for one of those lights that are red, and I ketch up to the. I save on gas, brakes, tires, and it is a nicer ride instead of having to stop fast. There are a couple of other lights where it is also a good idea to anticipate them being red before you can see them. Sure there are a few times when the ones that zoomed past me get all green lights, but that is rare and not often enough to be worth trying for it. It does help to know the roads ahead and how to save gas when you can by taking it easy.

• New plugs + coils
  • Valve adjustment
  • Fuel filter
Thanks!
We have had three of these over the years. 18-19MPG city is normal. The fuel filter is in the tank. You can replace the plugs with NGK Laser Iridium, but new coils won't change anything if you don't have misfire codes. Do the valve adjustment as K24s tend to go tighter not looser with wear. This will spare you from a burned exhaust valve.

Whatever the door jam sticker says for tire pressure, go 5 psi over that. No, you will not hurt the tires. The day I got my Subaru I inflated the tires to 40 psi (door sticker says 32) and at 60k miles the tires still had even wear.

If the O2 sensor is original, it may have gotten lazy with that many miles on it. They tend to fail toward the rich side. You might want to check the fuel trims to confirm.

If you go into the mountains of California in the winter time, AWD affords you the luxury of not needing to put chains on unless the mountain roads are iced over.

3289958242_49a15ff0f1_o-56a387c83df78cf7727ddf15.jpg

And CA's definition of snow tires is just having the M+S logo.

The CRV has some screen in few places that can leak oil, above the oil filter and right behind the power steering pump.

The Dual Pump Fluid in the AWD unit in the rear has a frequent maintenance interval. I would add that to the list, it is easy to do.

i think the mpg is pretty close to normal, these are sturdy vehicles for what they are, and they are tall and do push some air. I’m familiar with a ‘97 and a ‘15. The ‘15 fwd gets superb mpg, around 25 mixed and 27 highway…. but to get that it has tech like DI and CVT, which many don’t like.

my wife currently drives the ‘15 and she likes it a lot. I preferred the pre-CVT models for the driving experience, but it excels as a practical appliance vehicle and that’s what she wants.

Sounds low, but our 03 only eeks out 23mpg.

I would just live with it until the vehicle market changes. Pump up the tires a few psi, check all the small details, and just put up with it.

Back