2005 Saab 9-3 - One year into ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I bought a 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc Convertible from a neighbor about a year ago for $1,800. Never even considered a Saab but drove it and really liked it, plus I have a 6 year old daughter so rides in the convertible going to get some ice cream is very fun.

132k on the clock when I purchased, have about 138k now after a year (the Saab shares time with my daily driver 2004 Mazda 3). I attached my before and after of my progress through the year.

The first is the fill hole after 2 months/800 miles with 1 quart of MMO and 5 quarts Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro. Others include headlight restoration, throttle body cleaning, convertible top cleaning, Saab center cap clean (nothing worked to clean it except, you guessed it, nail polish). The ATF on the left is when I first drained it (black), the middle picture is the current ATF state, and the right is virgin ATF for reference. I've done 3 drain and fills over the year.

Finally some trim restoration with Meguiars and a before and after of the car as a whole (I sourced some OEM Saab 17" Five spoke wheels so I now have summer tires on those, and kept the 16" wheels that came with the car and A/S for winter).

If you have any tips, stories, knowledge to share on Saab 9-3's please share! Thanks for reading.

Collage 2019-06-14 18_23_33.jpg

Collage 2019-06-14 19_08_28.jpg

Collage 2019-04-06 19_44_00__01.jpg

Collage 2019-03-12 18_33_03.jpg

Collage 2018-06-10 13_29_21.jpg

Collage 2018-06-03 16_39_43.jpg

Image-1.jpg

Collage 2019-04-11 19_01_51__01.jpg

Last edited:
That's a clean ride! Another testament to the amazing properties of MMO.

What's next, you getting a 93 octane tune on that thing or what? Bet you the increased torque on that turbo would be fun.

Nice ride!

My wife and I leased a 2002 9-3SE 5-speed. It was fun to drive! We returned it at lease end for the 2005 Highlander in my signature.

Doh! What a difference! :-(

I learned about all things Saab at www.saabnet.com

In fact, it was the good folks at saabnet who referred me to BITOG. So blame them.

I used M-1 5w-40 with 5k OCIs due to the warranty requirements and the 2.0L high output turbo.

Apparently, the oil pan is located near the turbocharger and several saabnetters had dropped their oil pan only to find sludge in the pan. And that was after having used a quality full syn oil and changing it every 5k miles.

I know it was recommended to purchase a DIC (direct ignition cassette) and keep it in the Saab, as that part was a regular failure on the ride.

Happy Saabing!

Sorry, nail polish remover. Believe it has something to do with the Acetone. Mine still look perfect after a year, found it on YouTube and lo and behold after all my cleaners failed, my wife's nail polish remover took the grime right out.

Originally Posted by dkryan
Nice ride!

My wife and I leased a 2002 9-3SE 5-speed. It was fun to drive! We returned it at lease end for the 2005 Highlander in my signature.

Doh! What a difference! :-(

I learned about all things Saab at www.saabnet.com

In fact, it was the good folks at saabnet who referred me to BITOG. So blame them.

I used M-1 5w-40 with 5k OCIs due to the warranty requirements and the 2.0L high output turbo.

Apparently, the oil pan is located near the turbocharger and several saabnetters had dropped their oil pan only to find sludge in the pan. And that was after having used a quality full syn oil and changing it every 5k miles.

I know it was recommended to purchase a DIC (direct ignition cassette) and keep it in the Saab, as that part was a regular failure on the ride.

Happy Saabing!

The 2002 gen 1 9-3 had the turbo up front but 2003 and later gen II the turbo was in the back of the engine, no problems with them. 3K OCI on the earlier one 5K on the later, synthetic only.
03 and up had individual coils not the cassette. Fuel pumps tend to go on these at about 100K preventive replacement is not a bad idea OE or Bosch (an OE supplier) only.

I get all the models confused, but I've always liked the 4 door models of this vintage.

I can honestly say I've never seen those rims. Reminds me of what was on the Pontiac GTO or G8. Very sharp.

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
Nice car! That first sample of ATF sure looks fuggly.

Had my share of cars where that first drain (sometimes even two or three) looks like used motor oil. It gradually lightens up. You can do another after 100 miles or so, though the theory has been postulated that you could do the same after a trip to the store or drive around the block.. transmission really appreciates new fluid in either case.

Was this SAAB prior GM takeover?Nice looking car!

Marco626, no, this one was squarely post-Saab control, GM had partnered with them years before, the 9-3 died in 2010 we also got the 9-7X and 9-2X (GMC and Subaru) and the production was from GM 1998 forward. Or maybe it trudged on through 2014 but had two different makers, one 2011-2012 and another 2013-2014 before kaput.

I believe you are thinking of a Saab 900 ending in 1997, this the one Kramer became excited to see how far he could drive with the light on (1995.)

Had 6 Saabs in the "family".
I found a 2002 9-3SE sporting a For Sale sign and chatted with the owner.
It's condition and crispness impressed me. He bought @ 13K in February 2005 for his 2 sons.
He installed a new steering rack, roof rack system (lotsa toys included there) and other major parts I cannot remember now.
I misspoke and suggested $1,600 for the car and the man accepted it!
It became the 6th Saab when my pal, on his son's orders, came down and bought it the next day.
For all its cleanliness and obvious maintenance the owner, a thoughtful and kind man, the cabin air filter had never been changed and the transmission fluid came out brown and lumpy I SWEAR. I did the drain and fills.
Three D&F's within 3 months absolutely cured it.
A fourth, later on, was not needed. The fluid stayed clean.

DSC01358.JPG

DSC01532.JPG

DSC01294.JPG

DSC01336.jpg

Another Saab story - But a good one!

Of All the brands gone I am missing seeing Saab around - though we've only owned a saab 96 with a 3 cylinder 2 stroke and 4 on the tree.

That car was a buzz bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back