2005 Honda Pilot diff fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 honda Pilot and want to change the rear diff to a SCHAFFERS oil but not sure what the factory specs are. Does any one know? I don't want to put in the Z1 Fluid as it is big $$,like $55 a liter(this is the dealer price in canada).I hate paying big money for factory oils that are garbage.

This should be listed in your owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual, the dealer should be able to help you. I beleive your rear differential takes GL-5 80/90 or 75/90 gear lube, NOT Z-1 ATF! But, you had better double check. I sure that others will chime in and help out also.

Originally Posted By: synman
I have a 2005 honda Pilot and want to change the rear diff to a SCHAFFERS oil but not sure what the factory specs are. Does any one know? I don't want to put in the Z1 Fluid as it is big $$,like $55 a liter(this is the dealer price in canada).I hate paying big money for factory oils that are garbage.

Quote:
This should be listed in your owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual, the dealer should be able to help you. I beleive your rear differential takes GL-5 80/90 or 75/90 gear lube, NOT Z-1 ATF! But, you had better double check. I sure that others will chime in and help out also.

Good to be cautious!

So far none of the above are correct.

The 2005 Pilot takes Honda VTM-4 differential fluid. I don't claim to know exactly what this GLS fluid is but I don't think Scheafer's has an equivalent.

I even commented in that thread. How bad is my memory!?
33.gif

With wear non-existent, why use anything else?

I wonder how well it will perform in place of ATF in transfer cases, diffs,......

So do we know what a good alternative would be for the VTM-4 rear differential?

When I called the dealer for the transfer case fluid, they didnt have any in stock so they said any good 80w90 oil would be fine.

VTM-4 is the only fluid no alternative. I change our VTM-4 once a year 15min prodject last time was like 24 bucks a gallon. It's not worth it to try any other when a diff will cost 3000 grand if your not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back