2005 crv front brake squeal/grinding

Hello,

I changed the front pads and rotors on my 2005 honda crv using raybestos element3 rotors and pads from rockauto.

I also purchased raybestos rubber boots and slide pins and installed them as well.

So everything went well except the pads. The pads with the metal wear indicator were hard to install on the new bracket that was supplied. I manage to get them after some filing of the ears. But they are not loose, real snug even with lube. I installed them on the inner part of the caliper like the old ones I took off. I tripled checked before tightening the caliper, the pads are in the right orientation.

I get a squealing noise when I'm driving, it's not constant. And it squeals when I brake and its loud squeal if Im braking and turning right. But when I'm in reverse backing into the garage it was LOUD constant metal grinding. It's dark now so I'll take the tires and inspect tomorrow morning. Anyone have suggestions on where I messed up?
Thanks

Edit: I'm not sure if this matters, the pad came with 8 new metal brackets. I used 3 of 1 style and 1 without the tab in the middle.

Attachments

• 20210501_234800.jpg
    20210501_234800.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210501_234819.jpg
    20210501_234819.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
You shouldn't ever have to file the ears on pads. You're in Canada, are the brackets rusty to the point they're tightening up the mounting area? The pads need to move freely in the brackets or you're going to have wear problems.

It also sounds like you probably have one of those stainless clips touching the rotor. They will make a horrible noise when they hit rotor.

You shouldn't ever have to file the ears on pads. You're in Canada, are the brackets rusty to the point they're tightening up the mounting area? The pads need to move freely in the brackets or you're going to have wear problems.

It also sounds like you probably have one of those stainless clips touching the rotor. They will make a horrible noise when they hit rotor.
Thank you for your reply!

I cleaned the caliper bracket with a steel wire brush, I can redo it again tmw morning. Will also inspect the stainless clips.

I'll bet you $10 it's the new hardware. I had the exact same car with Rabyestos pads and hardware a few years ago, and it did the exact same thing. Changed the clips/hardware back to what was on there prior, and the problem went away.

The factory clips have that small piece of metal that keeps the clip centered on the bracket, the aftermarket ones do not. Bet one of them is rubbing the rotor making the noise. If the pad was that hard to get in, the bracket was not cleaned enough, it needs to be perfectly clean, then brush a small amount of molycoat on there to prevent the bracket from corroding which will cause the pad to get seized in the bracket. The pad needs to be free to slide, but not so loose it clunks in the bracket up/down which will cause a clunk when changing directions.

Update, cleaned the caliper bracket real good, had to bring it to my dad's to use his wire wheel to strip the rust. I used the stainless hardware without the tabs since it had a bigger opening for the rotor. Applied moly lube, now the pads wont stay on with the spring clips lol. No more squealing or grinding.

Thanks guys!

Yep, some of that rust can be a real bugger to get off. Even a bench grinder and wire wheel sometimes just polishes it and makes it look shiny instead of removing it.

Back