2004 Toyota Sienna - German Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys here's the report I received from Blackstone Labs. It took a while and I was beginning to get worried that the oil was tossed in the trash by the USPS. Anyway here goes:

Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Sienna
Oil: Castrol Syntec 0W30
Miles on engine: 10,637 miles
Miles on oil: 4,648 miles
Make-up oil: none
Filter: Napa Gold

First column are the results and second are what the universal average is:

Aluminum 3 / 3
Chromium 0 / 0
Iron 6 / 8
Copper 1 / 5
Lead 3 / 4
Tin 1 / 1
Molybdenum 2 / 30
Nickel 0 / 0
Manganese 1 / 1
Silver 0 / 0
Titanium 0 / 0
Potassium 0 / 0
Boron 4 / 32
Silicon 22 / 18
shocked.gif

Sodium 4 / 7
Calcium 3384 / 2707
Magnesium 107 / 267
Phosporus 808 / 785
Zinc 889 / 897
Barium 0 / 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 deg F is 62.0
Flashpoint 385
Fuel % Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles TR

Blackstone's comments: No problems showed up in this sample. Silicon was mildly high at 22 ppm, though we think this is leftover dirt and sealer from when the engine was new and should drop as you put more miles on the engine. All wear was excellent, reading well within the average range. Universal averages show typical wear from this type of engine after 5,000-6,000 miles on the oil. The TBN was strong at 3.4, so the oil still has plenty of active additive left. A low reading is 1.0 or less. Suggest going 6,000 miles on the next oil. Wear should still look good.

Well, tell me what you guys think?
smile.gif

kiko,

Went back and researched other Sienna reports...there was an excellent Redline report but that engine had like 78000 miles on it and so it is not a fair comparison. I did find a Sienna with a report on M1 Tri-Syn 5W30 with similar miles on the oil and the engine and the GC did better than the M1. I'll try to put them in here side by side for you: (I left out zero values)

code:

GC M1

AL 3 5

Chr 0 2

Fe 6 16

Cu 1 6

Pb 3 5

Tn 1 1

Mang 1 1

Si 22 28

TBN 3.4 7.0 (I suspect this might reflect two different rating scales.)

I think this is an excellent report and this oil seems to be a good match for your engine. One UOA does not a final decision make so I'd go another interval and see how much better it might get!

[ September 09, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Thanks for the comments Pscholte. Now if only I could find some more of the green stuff. I think the auto parts people are hoarding them for themselves.
frown.gif

That IS a risk we run when we ask them to look out for it. Just remember they get new stock in on Friday, so, if you think they are pulling it themselves, go in Friday afternoon and ask them to look on the skid containing that week's shipment or if they will let you look...maybe you can find it yourself and ask them to pull it for you before they have free access to it. I've been aggressive like this before and it worked.

The GC continues to impress. I must say, it's very consistant. I like that!

Very nice report! I did notice the viscosity is down to 10.7, but it could be the nature of this engine to beat up the oil like that too. With excellent wear numbers like that, I don't think much of that 22ppm of silicon is actual dirt, but a lot of it could be additives in the oil and gasket material.

TBN seems kinda low at 3.4 though, my sister's 5500 mile interval showed a 6.9 TBN with this oil (on the same lower TBN scale too)

Wear numbers are really nice, especially on such a new vehicle. I have similar engine in wife's RX300 and this GC looks like the only OTC oil that can probably go 7,500 miles in this engine.

Patman, how do you convert viscosity from sus to cSt?

code:

Weight CSt 100°C SUS 212°F

20wt oil 5.6 - 9.3 44.6 - 56.8

30wt oil 9.3 - 12.5 56.8 - 68.3

40wt oil 12.5 - 16.3 68.3 - 83.11

50wt oil 16.3 - 21.9 83.11 - 106.6

60wt oil 21.9 - 26.1 106.6 - 125.0

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I don't think much of that 22ppm of silicon is actual dirt, but a lot of it could be additives in the oil and gasket material.

I hope it's not dirt either. Although I've done a lot of runs to and from Phoenix and Las Vegas in the middle of summer through some dust storms. I'll check the air filter for dirt and perhaps replace it or clean it out if it shows more dirt than usual.

Very happy with the green elixir. Now to find some more.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kiko:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I don't think much of that 22ppm of silicon is actual dirt, but a lot of it could be additives in the oil and gasket material.

I hope it's not dirt either. Although I've done a lot of runs to and from Phoenix and Las Vegas in the middle of summer through some dust storms. I'll check the air filter for dirt and perhaps replace it or clean it out if it shows more dirt than usual.

Very happy with the green elixir. Now to find some more.
smile.gif

Don't know if this helps you as a reference, but I initially had 264 PPM silicon!

I have a '02 Toyota Avalon with a 1MZ-FE V6. My first UOA at 1,500 miles showed 264 PPM silicon. The next change dropped to 64 at 2,700 miles, and is now 23 PPM at 6,500 miles.

They seem to use something in the engine that leaches silicon, at least for a while.

-Greg Bohn

My first UOA at 1600 miles on a new 03 civic showed 83ppm Si. I hope it drops as fast as yours did.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Bohn:

I have a '02 Toyota Avalon with a 1MZ-FE V6. My first UOA at 1,500 miles showed 264 PPM silicon. The next change dropped to 64 at 2,700 miles, and is now 23 PPM at 6,500 miles.

They seem to use something in the engine that leaches silicon, at least for a while.

-Greg Bohn [/QB]

quote:

--snip

-Greg Bohn [/QB]

[/QB][/QUOTE]
Gotta be the Gasket material is Silicon in the Valve Cover and the Oil Pan, least on mine they are.

What would cause the flash point of 460 degrees in the VOAs to decrease to 385 degrees in the UOAin 4600 miles? Seems like a lot compared to other VOA/UOA like M1 that I've seen posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back