2004 Toyota Sequoia No crank, no start

2004 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x4
I'm getting a no crank, no start after an engine replacement. All connections are plugged in.
I'm using the original harness from my vehicle. Every connector had a connection on new engine.
All lights come on dash, headlights and power windows, ect working fine. Battery is fully charged and engine ground is tight.
I've checked every fuse and swapped out one starter relay and checked the other with a meter.
I confirmed the neutral switch on transmission is plugged in and selector is all the way back in park.
Wiggling the shifter and trying in neutral has not worked.
Apply 12v to the starter solenoid and the starter engages.
Jumping the starter with key in run position, I do not have any spark, but I do have pressurized fuel in the fuel rail.
I'm using 2 different correct old keys.

Needing some suggestions

Originally Posted by Chris142
Something is not plugged in or plugged into the wrong spot.

x2, assuming the new engine is good.

Assuming this is a 4.7, starter is not easily accessible as it's under the intake manifold

Salvage yard engines may sit for months or years between the pull and the sale, leaving things like fuel injectors and starter solenoids seized.

As mentioned above, next step is to check for 12VDC being sent to the starter solenoid pull wire from the relay while the ignition key is in the START position.

If no 12VDC on that circuit while the key is in START position, it's a wiring or control problem.

If you find 12VDC on that circuit while the key is in START position, it's a starter problem and likely the solenoid stuck/seized.

He mentioned that applying +12V to the starter solenoid results in a cranking engine.

Therefore there is no start +12v at the solenoid when the key is turned. Anti-theft system would be my best guess, if it has one...

Are the 30A ST fuse and 7.5A STA fuse under the hood good? The 30A powers the starter S terminal through the starter relay, the ignition switch sends +12v through the STA fuse to the start signal input on the ECM. The ECM actually controls the +12v side of the starter relay, from what I can see, the ground side of the relay coil windings are constant.

Here's the starter relay wiring:

Pin 1 is a BLK/RED wire that should have +12v when cranking. This comes from the ECM.
Pin 2 is a WHT/BLK wire that should have continuity to ground at all times.
Pin 3 is a BLK/WHT wire that should have continuity between the relay and the starter S terminal.
Pin 5 is another BLK/RED wire that should have +12v at all times.

An easy test to start would be to jump pins 3 and 5 at the starter relay, with the relay removed. If it cranks over, that part is fine. Then you're looking at an ECM inhibit situation, most likely.

That being said, have you pulled codes? Not just generic, but OEM level. There could be useful information there.

I am having the same issue with an 05. Dis ypu ever find a solution to yours? We have reset the ecm/ security sestem. The motor wont do anything, not even a click.

Back