2004 Golf 2.0BEV, 5800 miles, Valvoline Syn 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got the report on our Golf. It was running Val. Synpower 5w30 with 1qt MMO and 4oz Auto RX. The high iron and copper may be due to use of a engine restore additive. Have to wait and see. VW states a 10000mi OCI on this engine, but at less than 6000 the oil was almost dead.

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 13
COPPER 20
LEAD 15
TIN 4
MOLYBDENUM 9
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 14
SILICON 3
SODIUM 19
CALCIUM 1900
MAGNESIUM 7
PHOSPHORUS 622
ZINC 633
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 60.3
Cst Viscosity @ 100 C 10.29
Flashpoint in °F 385
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0
TBN 1.2

Oil is spent based on Tbn. With Restore/Rx it's hard to say how well the oil did on it's own. Wear metals look ok.

6k max oci with synthetic. Don't stick any more foreign objects in your engine.

If I remember correctly, VW makes their 10k OCI with an assumption of sythetic oil. let's see, MMO, Auto RX, and Restore? that's quite a cocktail

Why did you delute the quality of the Valovine oil with the MMO and the engine cleaner? I know XM says not to put anything in their oil. Just curious.

The restore was quite some time ago...not on the current run. Blackstone says that the [censored] lingers in there for quite some time.

Im always one to try and push what is normally done...why not try it? It worked fine on my 2uz-fe powered 4runner with no ill effects. Im adding nothing to both my 4runner and golf this time to see what shows up.

Golf is now running Mobil1 0w30...with no additives.

My 4runner which had a small amount of fuel in the UOA from last time ran the same AutoRx+MMO but it ran no MMO this time and showed no issues.

Last edited:
yes...the 1.8T's have issues with sludge. The 2.0 does not have such issues.

I am interested in seeing what the next UOA shows for this engine.

Known!!! big sludge issues....Casper IMHO you should be using GC 0W-30...one of my friends have an old GTI....he is very satisfied with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

.....perhaps you should try this oil as well....but please do not add anything else in you engine other than reputable engine oils!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back