2004 Ford Taurus with duratech 24V motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
just picked the car up and ishe has 21K on her...
wanna do the RIGHT stuff with oil and filter...
I do want to use synthetic.....SO lead me in the right direction PLEASE
do I flush it out and got with the synthetic or not
I live in Long Island NY and most of the driving is not on the highway (not that highways in NY mean anythin anymore)
help me out making the right decisions
Thanx a bunch
Rob

First off:
welcome.gif

Nice car with a nice engine under the hood! Was this a rental car? If it was, DO run an Auto-RX treatment, even if it only has 21K on it. Then I'd switch to the easily attainable M1 5w-20 or M1 5w-30.

cheers.gif

ok thanx for the quick response... umm is auto rx only avaliable on the web? or can I pick it up at a local store?
if it is only on the web is there anything else I could use that I can get at a local place?
and what filter should I look into?
thanx again
Rob

I would switch it over to Mobil 1 (owners manual for correct viscosity) and us a PureOne oil filter. Anothe good option is the use Motorcraft oil and filter.

auto-rx is only available on the web. It really works, I used it in my car with good results. It's not a "fly by night" product, it really is the real-deal.

A-RX may not be needed, but you never know if the oil got changed more than once or twice by the rental company. With 21K, why take chances? There's a few hundred more K of life left in that engine.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by atsoca:
just picked the car up and ishe has 21K on her...
wanna do the RIGHT stuff with oil and filter...
I do want to use synthetic.....SO lead me in the right direction PLEASE
do I flush it out and got with the synthetic or not
I live in Long Island NY and most of the driving is not on the highway (not that highways in NY mean anythin anymore)
help me out making the right decisions
Thanx a bunch
Rob

psssssst...over here...got a little of this German Castrol in my trunk...this here was made right in Würzburg...um-m-m...South Korea...hey, need a Coach bag for the Missus?

Use the GC...

With only 21k miles while probably using a stout 20wt, I don't see the need for any flushing/cleaning....

At your next oil change, start using a synthetic(any of the name brands) and a quality filter(like motorcraft).

For weight, you can't go wrong with most of the 5w20, 5w30, 0w30 and 10w30 brand name synthetics.
I'd stick with the recommended 20wt. If oil consumption or "psychological fear" exists, then use any of the 30wts.

I have an 03 Mazda MPV with the 3.0l Duratech. I bought it new and switched to M1 at 5000 miles. I used 5w20 for a couple 5000 OCI and 5w30 for a few 5000 OCI. There is a Mazda TSB allowing 5w30 in these engines even though they were spec'd for 5w20. I switched to M1 EP 5w30 at 35k and now have almost 41k. I hope to get a UOA at 45k (10k on oil) and see how it held up. I hope to stay with 10k changes. So far this engine doesn't use any perceptable oil in 5000 miles. These engines rev pretty easy and I like the 5w30 fine.

I have a 2002 Taurus with the Duratec and 53,000 miles. I typically use M1 5w-30 year round for 7-8k OCI's. MC 820S filter. Every now and then, I get lazy and let my Ford Dealer change the oil with MC 5w-20.

hey you guys with the 24V duratech's how are they runnin? clean inside? have ya looked into the oild filler?
what about when ya change the oil is it bad?
just lookin for any edge to keep it going long and stong!
thanx
Rob

The Duratech is an awesome engine. Looks brand new under the cap after 53,000 miles. The oil isn't that dark after 8,000 miles (you can still see through it). I thought it would be worse. Previously I had a 98 Jeep GC with the Straight Six. That oil would come out blacker than the dead of night.

I'm just finishing the clean stage of an AutoRx treatment (the engine looked new before the treatment anyway). I wanted to clean any deposits than may have formed inside. Before the treatment, I could usually get around 410 miles to a tank. Now, after 1600 miles into the clean stage, I'm getting 460 miles to a tank. Also my butt dino is telling me that I don't have to press the accelerator as much to get up to speed. Amazing product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back