2004 4Runner Differential & Transfer Case

I have 2004 4Runner with the 2WD / Full Time 4WD / 4 Lo transfer case. I need to change front & rear diff & transfer case fluids.

The manual calls for:
Front diff: 75w-90 GL-5
Rear diff: 90w GL-5, or 80w-90 GL-5 below -18C / 0F
Transfer Case: 75w-90 GL-5

Both front and rear diffs are open, no limited slip. Typical temperatures in my area range from approx -30C / -20F to +30C / 90F.

I'm considering Amsoil Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube 75w-90 in all 3. I can get it off the shelf at a store in my area and a little cheaper than Pennzoil Full Synthetic GL-5 or Castrol Syntec GL-5. I know Amsoil Severe Gear is also good but more $ and not as easily sourced. It also has limited slip additives which I don't need, although wouldn't hurt.

Any thoughts on Amsoil Gear Lube and using 75w-90 instead of 80w-90 in rear diff?

Can't go wrong with Amsoil. I had this decision with the Lexus GS. It wants 80W90 in the front diff and 75W85 in the rear. Amsoil would have certainly been compatible.
Special transfer case that uses trans fluid.
If you are not racing or severe service, I'm sure those other brands are fine. I went with the Toyota Stuff and Valvoline 80W90

You'll be fine. I have been using the Amsoil severe gear 75w/90 in my '03 V8 4x4 Limited, full time 4wd as well, for over 100k miles and no issues whatsoever. I put it in about 145k when I purchased it, and changed it at 230k and the fluid was still in great shape. Only did mild 4wd trails and probably about 5k miles of towing around 4000lbs. Low temps pushing -30 in the winter when I lived in the ID mountains, and +105 summer temps in Boise. I'm about to hit 250k and it still runs as good as new.
Also I have been using the Amsoil signature multi-vehicle ATF the entire time as well, no issues and perfect shifts. Mine has a trans dipstick as uses T-IV fluid, not WS.

Last edited:
Good to know. Thanks.

I'll put a vote in as well for Amsoil Signature Multi-vehicle ATF, with a bottle of LubeGuard. I did a full flush, 14+ qts. I also have a dipstick on my A340 transmission that uses T-IV, and added a remote spin on filter.

I ran with redline 75w90 with no issues in my 06 4Runner, diffs and transfer case. I'm sure it will like amsoil just as much. You could probably skip the lubgard if you're going to use amsoil signature atf.

When in Saskatchewan......
I believe BrianF is a big fan of this.

BE7433D6-D687-4573-B8AF-B056DCE212C9.png

Back