2001 RAV4 gearbox, diff and transfer case oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi !

I'm in the process of replacing all fluids on our just bought 2001 Toyota RAV4 (1AZ-FE). I'm just done with engine oil and filter, now going to the transmission fluids.

What the owner manual says:

MANUAL TRANSAXLE:
Oil type: Gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5
Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 75W-90

TRANSFER:
Oil type: Hypoid gear oil API GL-5
Recommended oil viscosity:
Above -18C (0F): SAE 90 or 85W-90
Below -18C (0F): SAE 80W or 80W-90

REAR DIFFERENTIAL:
Oil type: Hypoid gear oil API GL-5
Recommended oil viscosity:
Above -18C (0F): SAE 90
Below -18C (0F): SAE 80W or 80W-90

Generally, oil recommendations given by various websites goes either 75W90 GL4 & GL5 universal oil for the 3 elements, along with some 75W90 GL4 for the transaxle and 80W90 GL5 for transfer & diff, along with a bunch of other options. I can find probably all the Yacco options easily, or Total for some 80W90 GL5.

Is there anything wrong going the universal 75W90 GL4 & GL5 in every hole route ?

Is any GL5 "hypoid" or should this be written on the product data sheet ?

TIA

GL-5 is hypoid although there are difference performance levels. GL-4 is also actually described for Hypoid although there are virtually no applications calling for a GL-4 in a hypoid gear.

I've had one of these cars, I used GL-5 80w-90 in the transfer case and R Diff. I personally think 75w-90 is overkill in the manual trans, especially if you're in a cooler climate, I'd look at GL-4 75w-85. You could use a 75w-90 GL-5 universal oil in all if you want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supercity
especially if you're in a cooler climate

I'm in a tropical climate. Never seen below 0°C temps. 80% of running time from 20 to 35°C

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I went with allll synthetic gear oil in my Rav and got better gas mileage.

Interesting ! Do you remember which viscosity ? Universal 75W90?

Originally Posted by Billbert
For the manual trans, use redline or amsoil manual transmission fluid in 75w-90 you won't be sorry.

There's no such brands where I leave.

: Motul, LiquiMoly, Castrol, Yacco, Repsol, Valvoline, Q8, SF Atlantic, Bendix, Champion
: Shell, Total, Elf, Engen, Petronas, Tamoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back