2003 Toyota Highlander 2.4L oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Buzzinhalfdozen
Oro_O what fluid do you use in your piston soak? I did some looking online and people seem to have success with MMO. I also have some FP plus and Lc20 that I use in the Jeep.

I like MMO but don't think I've used it as a soak. I get great, measurable results using it as an UCL added to gas.

I have used SeaFoam a few times, I've made my own "homebrew" seafoam from a recipe I found on the web also (white gas (camp stove fuel), acetone, kerosene I think). Last time I think I used Chemtool B-12. Because it's a progressive problem, I can't say what was more effective with any real certainty.

Vehicles with this issue usually have a corresponding varnish issue as they sometimes get low on oil and then the oil runs hotter with the attendant consequences. I run a kerosene flush every oil change. It helps clean things up, too. Between those and running a quality synthetic (I like M1 10w-30 HM), the usage trend is downward slowly.

If the heads could come off of this vehicle w/o pulling the engine, I'd have done that a year or two ago. I'd pull the heads, take out the pistons, de-carbon them and the rings and grooves. Then your drill additional drain holes in the grooves and skirts, put it together and the problem is gone for good. At 1qt/1,200 mi with the trend downward, I'll stick with this proceedure vs. pulling the engine from the vehicle to get at the pistons.

The address is about 200 characters long search instead;

Pennzoil motor oil mono-grade with active cleansing technology SAE 30

The technical product sheet should be on page one right after the boutique oil wanna-be spam sites.

SAE 40 HDEO works even better for cleaning up piston and ring deposits.

Last edited:
Well I will be starting the piston soak tonight. It will be in the soak process till next Monday. Also just noticed that the oil I used was not the PP but it was actually the old bottle penzzoil ultra 5w-40 euro. Noak around 6%??

I did find the PP euro L oil 5w-30 Acea C3 for future changes at Walmart.

Will most likely start using the lube control products long term as well in this motor.

Just as an update the oil consumption after soaking with LC 20 and MMO has been cut in half.

Also she says fuel economy has gone up to 23-24 mpg from 20mpg on the highway.

Last edited:
I have an 07 2.4 highlander....It will be the last Toyota we ever buy. I have 93k miles....change every 3500 to 4000 miles wilth 5w20 high mileage QS....It now uses about 1/2 quart by oil change time. Ive had A.C. go out at 65k .....Water pump at 55k, 2 alternators.....4 struts ....elec seat....My 06 V-8 Mustang has had zero except break pads and oil changes with M1 5w30. Ive bought a Honda civic back in 01 and it was a bigger turd than the Toyota. I want to trade it off for a Ford Edge ecoboost.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Some people (myself included) with vehicles with this problem (Saturn, Isuzu/Acura, Toyota, Mazda) have had success with piston soaks to clean things up. I have used that and kerosene flushes to reduce consumption.

The other thing that reduces consumption is very sturdy, high HTHS and low VII content oil. The oil gets trapped around the high-heat ring area for too long and breaks down. A high HTHS, fully synthetic 10w-30 would probably be your best bet to reduce consumption. M1 10w30 HM is what I find to work on mine. Thicker oils with more VIIs disappear quicker. A synthetic 5w-20 with little/no VIIs should work well too, probably (haven't tried it).

Not that I want you to have to do all my homework. But could you give a couple of examples of a very sturdy, High HTHS and low VII content oil? Would it necessarily be a full synthetic? Would a Castrol EDGE or GTX be able to work? I saw the HTHS 5w30 of the GTX Ultraclean, 3.09, but 12.7% NOACK. Let me know, since I have a 2az-fe in my scion tC, but it's an 06 before they changed over to the new piston/ring design. I'd rather get ahead of any problems now. it's not burning any oil, but wouldn't hurt to prevent anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back