2003 Silverado transfer case fluid choices

My 2003 4WD Silverado 4.8 I bought new has 62K miles and I've got several choices for a transfer case fluid change, the third change since new. It is a manual transfer case. I rarely use 4WD.

I have all these fluids already: Autotrak II, TES 295, Red Line D4. The Autotrak II I have no other application for, while I do for the TES 295 and D4. If the TES 295 and D4 don't have a dramatic advantage over the Autotrak, I'd like to use it up.

GM calls for DEX III, I've run TES 295 since factory fill.

Last edited:
You can use up your Auto Trac II. It has friction modifiers for the clutches in a auto transfer case but will still lubricate just fine. I use it in a application where Dex 6 was called for, for the last 15 years. 240,000 miles on the transfer case.

D77ADD5E-C377-48BA-AA0D-A5FCB9A665D0.jpg

TES-668 or

RoyalPurple and Mobil1 ATF are usually available, or orderable, from various autopart stores, or any ATF+4. So, Redline D4 is an easy choice.

Valvoline has a synthetic transfer case fluid just for you too.

Should research your specific transfer case and see if it is a problem. Some grind themselves up pretty good and develop leaks. If so, there are pump upgrade kits to reduce pump rub.

Definitively TES 295, it's an easy pick... Like Delvac 1 ATF.

TES-668 or

RoyalPurple and Mobil1 ATF are usually available, or orderable, from various autopart stores, or any ATF+4. So, Redline D4 is an easy choice.

Valvoline has a synthetic transfer case fluid just for you too.

Should research your specific transfer case and see if it is a problem. Some grind themselves up pretty good and develop leaks. If so, there are pump upgrade kits to reduce pump rub.
Already did the pump rub kit, that was the last fluid change.

Back