2003 RSX Type-S Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends younger brother bought a pre-owned 2003 RSX Type-S. Supposedly the car had a new clutch put in 14k miles ago. He decided to do a few donuts with a high rpm clutch drop while his friend was recording. When he dropped the clutch, the wheels started spinning and then all of a sudden-loss of power to the ground and there is now a clunking noise coming from the engine when it's running, more apparent when trying to push the car to roll ( as if the exhaust is dragging against the ground). The car goes into gears when stationary but it wont move at all in first gear or reverse. The rpm's go up but the car does not move.

Needs a new clutch, busted differential, broken axle, transmission shifter cable? What's the best way to diagnose? ABS light also came on after this. Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the youtube video?
May be helpful in diagnosis and would be VERY entertaining if not helpful...
smile.gif

Either input shaft on trans or actual clutch plate or cv. If you can't see the damage then it is in the transmission. a clunking noise from the engine sounds like bad news as well.

Imagine an exhaust hanging from the bottom of a car and dragging against the ground. That's how it sounds like when we try to push the car with the engine running and the car actually moving from us pushing it.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
How do you do donuts with a front wheel drive car?

2 ways I can think of that we did them in younger years....
1. E-Brake. Doesn't last long but gets the rear around, especially in rain or snow.
2. Reverse. Not as much fun and certainly dangerous.

High RPM clutch drops are sure ways to grenade your drivetrain as your friend's brother found out... If it does need a new engine, trans, etc it may be cheaper to junk it and start new.

If an ABS light came on immediately afterwards, you should check for a potentially broken CV shaft- it may have broken, flopped around and hit the sensor, which if I remember correctly is mounted in the spindle.

It somewhere between the transmission(most expensive) and cv joint(cheapest). My guess is somewhere the middle.

My brilliant(really) friend did something stupid like this with his parents 626 turbo in high school. It broke the CV joint and car will not move since all the power because of diff goes to easier spot.

I was surprised that an axle can break on a completely stock RSX Type-S that is rated at 200hp. A mechanic I asked said it's common on FWD cars when someone tries burnouts and happens more often than on RWD cars. I always see "cool" kids racing their Civic's, Integra's and RSX's and have neve rheard of this happening.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I was surprised that an axle can break on a completely stock RSX Type-S that is rated at 200hp. A mechanic I asked said it's common on FWD cars when someone tries burnouts and happens more often than on RWD cars. I always see "cool" kids racing their Civic's, Integra's and RSX's and have neve rheard of this happening.

Goes to show Honda isn't what it used to be....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back