2003 Land Rover 7000 miles?? (why?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,
My mother just got a 2003 Land Rover Discovery
smile.gif
4.6L. The owners manual states to change the engine oil every 7,000 miles!

I plan on using Mobil-1. Is 7,000 miles insane??
confused.gif
I usually change M-1 at 5,000 max.

What makes this engine different
confused.gif
from ones with 3,000 miles suggested changes??

Thanks,
John
cool.gif

Most cars today call for 3-7k mile changes. 3k being severe service and 7k normal service. IMO I would never take a dino oil to 7k miles even thought many manufacturers state so. Pennzoil maybe but its pushing it. M1 can easily handlt 7k mile drains. What you need to do is have the oil sampled (check out the Used oil analysis section) and find what oil does best in your vehicle. You can't go wrong with Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline or Schaeffer's. They each have there place and excell in different areas.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Most cars today call for 3-7k mile changes. 3k being severe service and 7k normal service...

The Jeep does specify a service, Land Rover does not, just 7,000.

-John

What makes this engine different from ones with 3,000 miles suggested changes??

Things are slowly changing with regard to the 3K interval, although the Jiffy Lube's of the World hope they won't.

Audi of America has gone to a 10,000 mile interval for severe service. The dealer in Colorado Springs uses Castrol GTX, I am using Mobi1 1. I will get an oil analysis next month on my 10K interval with Mobil 1 5W30.

Toyota/Lexus is using a 5,000 mile interval for severe service. The dealer in Denver uses Valvoline (I think) and I am using Mobil 1.

Curtis, what type of car did you run M1 for 10k miles in?

I have an '01 Audi A4 (2.8L V6) Quattro Automatic with Tiptronic and a '99 Lexus ES300 (3.0L V6). I am currently at 28,300 on my A4, so when I go in for the 30,000 mile interval, I will take my Blackstone kit in for the analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by Hubjeep:
The Jeep does specify a service, Land Rover does not, just 7,000.

-John [/QB]

Jeeps can handle anything...... we told you your mom should of gotten a Jeep....

The oil sump for this vehicle may be larger. If it's twice as large it can handle twice the milage. But if the sump is say smaller than 6 quarts or so and if your driving is lots of short trips or hard driving I would take an analysis at the 7K miles maximum to see if that interval is appropriate. Ideally you should consider taking a saple at a shorter milage than 7K.

But it's quite probable you can routinely go longer than 7K miles.

[ September 19, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

I use to run 2 discoveries (97,98) I had out to the maximum recommended oil change interval on Mobil 1 while I had them and the oil never seemed to be stressed. Didn't need any top off either during the intervals. This was with the 4.0 engines.

One discovery had lots of problems (defects) and the other had almost none. Watch out for bad clutch fans as they will sap power and fuel economy. I had to replace one a year on the one with problems and I had to replace one on the other. All under warenty while I was leasing them.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

Jeeps can handle anything...... we told you your mom should of gotten a Jeep....

Hehe
grin.gif
She liked the Rover better. No harm in trying something different (though I stay Jeep).
cool.gif

-John
cool.gif

[ September 21, 2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Hubjeep ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hubjeep:

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

Hehe
grin.gif
She liked the Rover better. No harm in trying something different (though I stay Jeep).
cool.gif

-John
cool.gif

I'll take my old 97 discovery over a stock jeep anyday. Right now a loaded 97 Discovery can be had for about 2k less than a 97 Jeep and it will typically have much lower mileage on it. If you havn't taken a disco 4-wheeling then you don't know what you are missing.

quote:

If it's twice as large it can handle twice the milage.

I'm not so sure about that and normally I'd agree. I have a 9.5 quart capacity and I ran a 9k oil change and had a TBN of 2.5 ..the oil was about shot. This would have been less than the proportional oil change interval for the normal 6qt change. Mobil 1 was the oil I used in this evolution.

I'm currently doing a 10k Delvac 1 (I'm at 8500) to see if it indeed can pass the 10k threshold with any integrity. In my 4.0 DC engine ..it appears so far that the fatigue on the oil is NOT capacity dependant. I have yet to figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back