2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland WG Reverse light switch - where is it???

Hi people,

Hope everyones doing ok.
I have the above vehicle, and though it's getting a bit long in the tooth, it isn't rusty, and it still goes like a fast thing.
I had a guy who was supposed to be doing some work on the beast, prior to putting it on the market, as I am a bit concerned that the mileage is getting up there, (163K approx.), and I'm worried about dropping a valve seat, as the 4.7 V8s are prone to doing this. Can't afford to repair that - on a fixed income following injuries, and $6K minimum to get the job done.
However, he was meant to replace the front bumper cover and a headlight, and a rear suspension bush, but didn't.
Said he'd managed to repair the bumper, but in all honesty, it looked better before he touched it.
There was a new, (second-hand) replacement cover, but he didn't feel it was worth the extra effort required to fit the thing, it seems
What he did do, apparently, apart from racking up quite a few miles, was "repair" the ashtray, which wouldn't close, and now does. It just doesn't open...
Spray painted the tow-hitch black, too, but forgot to mask anything off, so I now have a silver and randomly black rear bumper. YESSSS!!!
He also decided that it was absolutely imperative and a major high priority that the trans. shifter position indicator on the console was illuminated at night. Oooookay?
To tell the truth, I hadn't even noticed that it wasn't, and haven't driven at night since, so I dunno if that works or not.
However, upon collection of my Overland, apart from any other issues, I noticed that the reversing lights were no longer working.
It's not bulbs, so I'm thinking the switch.
However, I have been informed that the switch is NOT in the shifter mechanism in the console, but inside the transmission, which entails removing the pan and so-on, and replacing some solenoid or other.
Brilliant bit of design by Chrysler Jeep, if what I'm told is correct.
Anyone else out there able to confirm that this is the case, or share their expertise and experience in relation to back-up light faults on WJ/WG model Grand Cherokees?
Apparently it's a common problem on this particular transmission, both on the 4- and 5-speed variants

Thanks, you interesting crowd.
Andy

You are on the wrong forum with this question sir... You need to jump over to this....

I would not have my own 03 GC still on the road with out help from the guys on there have literally built a new jeep thanks to them. Already did the drop valve seat V8 and have a new reman engine, home rebuilt TC, transmission and both axles.

Get a schematic and find which wires go to the light function of the switch. Unplug switch, jump those wires turn the key on and confirm the lights come on. Only then you know the problem is really inside the transmission.

I have no experience on your vehicle, but I looked up the switch on Rock Auto, and it sure looks like a standard switch that would screw into the side of the transmission case.

You are on the wrong forum with this question sir... You need to jump over to this....

I would not have my own 03 GC still on the road with out help from the guys on there have literally built a new jeep thanks to them. Already did the drop valve seat V8 and have a new reman engine, home rebuilt TC, transmission and both axles.
Hi there,

Excellent.

Yeah, rotten valve seats. Otherwise I'd keep it.

Will try jeepforum.com as you suggest.

Thanks,

Andy

Get a schematic and find which wires go to the light function of the switch. Unplug switch, jump those wires turn the key on and confirm the lights come on. Only then you know the problem is really inside the transmission.
Very sound advice, my friend.

Theres a Jeep WJ/WG site I've seen - I have a link to it somewhere - and I think there's a wiring diagram on that.

Thanks for your response.

Andy

I have no experience on your vehicle, but I looked up the switch on Rock Auto, and it sure looks like a standard switch that would screw into the side of the transmission case.
Hi there,

Thanks for doing that.

Unfortunately, jeepforums.com have confirmed my fears:

"That one will be inside the transmission, part of the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor). It would require dropping the pan and pulling the valve body.
As usual, youtube has a video on how to replace it....IF it's really the problem. It could be a wiring issue completely unrelated to this sensor."

I have some homework to do, and wiring to check!

Appreciate your response.

Andy

If it's not a USDM model, a large part of what you find on the Internet may not apply to your car.
Hi there,

This is true.

However, this one is the same, even though assembled by Daimler-Benz in Austria, (not Australia), apart from being RHD.

Thanks, though - you make a valid point - it's the same with JDM vehicles, too.

Thanks for your response - it's much appreciated.

Andy

Hi there,

Thanks for doing that.

Unfortunately, jeepforums.com have confirmed my fears:

"That one will be inside the transmission, part of the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor). It would require dropping the pan and pulling the valve body.
As usual, youtube has a video on how to replace it....IF it's really the problem. It could be a wiring issue completely unrelated to this sensor."

I have some homework to do, and wiring to check!

Appreciate your response.

Andy
Not a bad job, dropped pan on both my '00 and '04, and the valve body on the '00....pretty straightforward.

Not a bad job, dropped pan on both my '00 and '04, and the valve body on the '00....pretty straightforward.
That's good to know - I'd love to have access to a lift, or a pit, but you can't have everything...

Thanks for letting me know that. It's reassuring, so I'll look at doing it if I can't find anything else as a cause.

Cheers, Andy

That's good to know - I'd love to have access to a lift, or a pit, but you can't have everything...

Thanks for letting me know that. It's reassuring, so I'll look at doing it if I can't find anything else as a cause.

Cheers, Andy
Welcome. 4 ramps (using 4Lo makes it easy) will give more than enough room...2 will work, but you'll get a lot more spillage when you unbolt the pan...ask me how I know ;)

Welcome. 4 ramps (using 4Lo makes it easy) will give more than enough room...2 will work, but you'll get a lot more spillage when you unbolt the pan...ask me how I know ;)
That's a good plan. Thanks.
I can imagine the mess I'd make using onlt 2 ramps. Don't wnt that!
Thanks for your response.

Cheers, Andy

Back