2003 Honda Odyssey EX, 160k,what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transmissions are problematic. If it hasn't yet been rebuilt, it may not go much longer . Change ATF and an external cooler and filter no matter what.. Timing belt should have been changed at 100K. If no records for TB change, replace the TB as soon as possible.

Trans rebuilds run $1500-2500 .

Look around on the forums here - http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/

We have a 2002 Odyssey with a 151K and like everyone says the trans is the biggest issue. Ours went with 107K! Got Honda to split the cost with me.

The other thing to watch is motor mounts, and the electic doors. Also, make sure timing belt has been done, plugs replaced ($$$), and some of the vans need to have the valves adjusted.

Otherwise the van is great espeically for long trips. MPG's are weak but then again you are looking at a 10 year old mini-van.

Last edited:
Trans.

If they went to quick lubes a lot, the engine oil pan is probably trashed and there's no telling what will happen when you take the plug out.

As much as I like Honda, they really screwed the pooch when it came to transmissions of that era. The Toyota Sienna is a rock solid choice; you should take a look at those.

Maybe look at an older one, my buddy bought one with 100k miles 4 years ago for $4k. He's done rear struts and sway bar endlinks, AC tune up, and that about it. Its rusting out now but mechanically its very solid.
He even tows a 1200lb tent trailer for a few thousand km every summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back