2002 VW Jetta oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jaj
Originally Posted By: rustlerdude
Amsoil Euro formula IS indeed 502 sped oil. a customer brought it in today for their New Jetta 2.5 and it said 502 spec on the bottle.

It's a good oil, but while the bottle might have 502.00 on it, the 502.00 list doesn't have Amsoil on it.

This may be correct, but that list also does NOT list German castrol! The owners manual says 502 spec. VW gives a list that only "insiders," such as myself, are allowed to view. The only reason this is open to the public is from people releasing it.

One thing we all should keep in mind is that any static "list" needs some sort of DATE associated with it. If not, it's not worth anything.

If someone composes any sort of list, that list is made up of things that are available at that point in time. Meanwhile, oil vendors are constantly adding new products and updating old products. These products might indeed be as good or better than items on the original list.

The same could be said about coolant. When my owner's manual was written, most likely in the late 90's, it includes stern warnings to use ONLY special VW coolant of a certain color and containing certain additives. Great. But in 2008 I can go into any auto parts store and see coolant on the shelf that says, "usable with ALL cars and coolant of ALL colors" (caps as written on the bottle). Who to believe? I'm of the opinion that you can believe the latter information.

Unless you're being held hostage by a warranty, use a good product and drive happy.

Originally Posted By: rustlerdude

For everyones information, VW did not list synthetic oil as mandatory until 2005 to present year vehicles with the exception of the TDI diesel engine.

2002 jettas had one of the following engines:

1.9TDI
1.8T
2.8vr6

the only engine I would use dino oil would be in the 2.0. Otherwise synthetic is the way to go....pref. Castrol.

VW did spec a 5W-40 ACEA A3 oil. This weight only comes in a synthetic. It was the VW/Audi dealers who were using bulk dino oil for their oil changes. They used bulked for the 2.0, 1.8T, 30V V6's and 2.8 VR6's. They did use Castrol 5W-40 in the TDI's per VW. The sludge problem was mostly the dealers fault. VW was to blame also with the super small sumps on their turbo engines. I owned 3 MK4's and a B5 Audi. I know all about VW service.

I had a 2000 Golf with the 2.0 motor. I have to say that is the biggest piece of junk motor I have ever had in a car. It used to consume so much oil no matter which brand or weight I put in it. Finally the dealer said to put 20w50 in it and it slowed the consumption down considerably. I had the car since brand new and it had this problem. I would not waste my money if I were you by putting a synthetic oil in these VW unless it was a turbo. Just because VW tells you what oil to use doesnt mean the dealership uses it. I soon found out from ANOTHER mechanic that I met and he also told me they used 20w50 for some of the 2 liter VW motors on the "oil consumption motor years"

Originally Posted By: NortheastPest
I had a 2000 Golf with the 2.0 motor. I have to say that is the biggest piece of junk motor I have ever had in a car. It used to consume so much oil no matter which brand or weight I put in it. Finally the dealer said to put 20w50 in it and it slowed the consumption down considerably. I had the car since brand new and it had this problem. I would not waste my money if I were you by putting a synthetic oil in these VW unless it was a turbo. Just because VW tells you what oil to use doesnt mean the dealership uses it. I soon found out from ANOTHER mechanic that I met and he also told me they used 20w50 for some of the 2 liter VW motors on the "oil consumption motor years"

You might have a bigger problem with that engine. My wifes 2.0L hasent burned any oil...just a leaky valve cover gasket. Its seen 0W30, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40 and now 5W40.

Originally Posted By: DrinkDuff77
I used to have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T and the manual and filler cap spec'd 5w-20. Synthetic was not required but the 502.00 spec applied. Are you guys sure a 2002 would spec 5w-40 even in the 2.0?

You must be confused about that 5w-20 recommendation. No 5w-20 that I know of meets the VW 502.00 spec.

mikeg5 - What kind of engine is it anyway?
Mobil1 0w40 is a synthetic that may have VW 502.00 Dunno for sure. I'd use Amsoil, Schaeffer's, RedLine, Pennz Plat or GC in a heartbeat in any of those engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back