2002 Protege under valve cover 225k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to remove the intake for my 2002 Mazda Protege to replace the rear motor mount. Sadly all of this work ended up following Murphy's law. Stripped threads on one of the three studs, kept accidentally losing tiny plastic parts that I could then not find and had to run to pick-n-pull to grab replacements for since not magnetic. And then, my PCV valve broke off when I was trying to pull it out. The worst part was the PCV gasket apparently hardened into plastic causing this issue. Well, I had to try to fish out the leftover parts of the PCV valve and ended up breaking parts of the gasket into the crankcase on accident because hard plastic and not rubbery. So I had to pull the valve cover to find these small plastic parts. Figured that would be a good time to take a valve cover pic so here are under cover pics and the two large gasket pieces that were able to be located.

20181227_153218.jpg

20181227_160105.jpg

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
That sure is clean for the mileage. Sorry for your faux pas. I always thought the Protege should have been a bigger seller.

Yep my stepdaughter has one a 1994 with 265K miles on it and it just keeps running even though she takes care of it very poorly.

You can buy alot of fuel for the price of a timing belt but they sure run clean and quiet.

Weird. When I posted only slightly worse pictures, people thought I should be running all sorts of cleaners. IMO it looks fine. Clean it up and keep running it.

Yes the Timing belt was last changed at 160k miles. Pretty sure that was the original timing belt. If it wasn't, it was at least 7 years old as that was how long i had the car.

Yeah, these protege's are really pretty reliable. I just bought another one recently with 295k miles on the odometer. It is now over 300k with its new owner. Kinda wish I kept it.

As for oil, when I first bought it, it just got parts store specials from autozone, mostly castrol if I could get it. Now days, it whatever high mileage oil I can get for cheap or with a rebate. The past couple oil changes were I believe Castrol edge HM 5w30 I caught for $15 a bottle and some maxlife I caught for 15 with a $7 rebate.

Looks good for the mileage. I had an '01 with the 1.6. Is yours the 2.0?

I changed the timing belt in 2012 around 180K km, well over the recommended interval. It still looked like new. Here's mine at the time:

2012 08 08 001.jpg

I'm changing a wheel bearing on a '14 Focus that is also obeying Murphy's Law. How could car so new have so many corroded fasteners???

Yes sir, it is a 2.0. That is all that was available in the US past 2001.

I know the feeling. This was the second time I have done this job. The first time sucked. The second time was smooth other than cut up hands. This time, it came off insanely smooth and quick. Like too good to be true. Little did I know what was awaiting on assembly.

Looks good! How much oil is it burning?
What do you imagine Mazda's reasoning was for having the exhaust manifold at the front of the car?

Originally Posted by antonmnster
I'm changing a wheel bearing on a '14 Focus that is also obeying Murphy's Law. How could car so new have so many corroded fasteners???

Salt .

Nice and clean! I'm preparing to change the timing belt on my 2002 Protege5, if I determine that it's still running the original belt. The car has about 160k miles, and I'm undecided on whether I will also replace the water pump, considering the questionable quality of aftermarket parts I've seen.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
What do you imagine Mazda's reasoning was for having the exhaust manifold at the front of the car?

I think this was a pretty common layout for 80s-90s cars with transverse configuration.

Oil burn varies. Highway mileage tends to eat about a quart per 1000 to 1500 miles. City mileage is normally closer to a quart per oil change.

Sometimes mine needs a quart beteeen changes but it's inconsistent.

I figured I'd post up my Protege5 in this thread instead of starting a new one since it's the exact same motor:

[Linked Image]

I typically run Maxlife but this OCI instead used Mobil1 AFE 0w-30. Regardless of oil type it sometimes has a brief but loud rattle after startup, I'm pretty sure it's the VTCS intake butterflies since it intermittently throws a code related to that. I also run an oversize filter (wix 51356) since the spec size is extremely small, and I like to change the filter every other 5k OCI

Just before I removed the timing belt and water pump:

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure it's the original belt, probably could have run it longer but it has small cracks on the smooth side. The roller and tensioner turn smooth but feel fairly worn. The water pump was dry & turned smooth but had crusty dried coolant all over itself, so I will replace it. Hoping a NAPA part will last the life of the car, but not placing any bets...

Isn't it amazing that since China, Mexico, and other nations are making replacement parts for our cars we can't seem to find a quality built part. I for one would be fine paying twice the price if I knew I didn't have to worry about replacing it in a short while again. Every time I am buying parts for my vehicle I do a lot of review searches on what people had best or worst luck with?

Originally Posted by MRtv
Isn't it amazing that since China, Mexico, and other nations are making replacement parts for our cars we can't seem to find a quality built part. I for one would be fine paying twice the price if I knew I didn't have to worry about replacing it in a short while again. Every time I am buying parts for my vehicle I do a lot of review searches on what people had best or worst luck with?

Sadly it isn't exactly mexican/chinese parts I am having problems with. I have done some modifications to my car that are generally considered taboo here such as a custom header which on a stock motor mount will start to sag enough it touches the crossmember. I should probably just take it to the exhaust shop and have it modified. But even then, the rear motor mount is known to need replaced pretty much any time the timing belt needs replaced.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
Oil burn varies. Highway mileage tends to eat about a quart per 1000 to 1500 miles. City mileage is normally closer to a quart per oil change.

Thanks, it must be running high revs on the freeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back