2002 Nissan Sentra (kid's first car)

Greetings all.

So it has happened:
My older son bought his first new car yesterday. I have not been able to inspect it or drive it; he received help elsewhere on those aspects.

What should we/I look out for in general? I've never owned this brand or this car. I drove this version once about 22 years ago. Great brakes, that's all I know.

It only has 74k on it and looks amazing in the pictures.

We had a 1993 and a 2001 Nissan Sentra. Great little cars. Plugs/coils are easily accessible. The 2002 should still have a cable actuated throttle body and a means to drain and fill the 4spd automatic. I believe our 1993 had a 1.6L engine and the 2001 had a 1.8?

I hear you on the inexpensive used car thing. Having a time finding anything for my 19 and 17yr/olds to use.

What should we/I look out for in general?
Presuming he's close to you and the car is from the midwest - corrosion (as you will already know). Brake lines, fuel lines are likely in rough shape due to salt and rust.

Reactions: JTK
I would read the codes to see if anything is going on. Check brakes, and replace as needed. Check hoses, replace. on buying used, all fluids should be replace with good quality or OEM (oil, coolant, trans, brake). Tires, belts). Nissans of that vintage are perfectly servicable and that 74,000 mile car should be good for many, many miles and years.

Thanks everyone! I still haven't seen the car as I'm in Buffalo at the moment. @redhat
I plan on putting it on jackstands/ramps and inspecting every inch of it, and hitting every switch and making sure it all works.

It will be fun teaching him how to do things, and it's an easy car to work on.

Thanks everyone! I still haven't seen the car as I'm in Buffalo at the moment. @redhat
I plan on putting it on jackstands/ramps and inspecting every inch of it, and hitting every switch and making sure it all works.

It will be fun teaching him how to do things, and it's an easy car to work on.
Well howdy, hope your stay is nice while you're here!

The 90 (Interstate 90) SB sucks between the 190 and the 400. I do not know what kind of road work that is supposed to be but man is it terrible.

No personal experience with a Sentra of that year, but always figured a ton of shops probably overfill the engine since they spec 3 qts. Many vehicles are 3.5, it's the only one I know of that's less.

Run the VIN for airbag recalls, see if they were performed
Nissan's of that vintage struggle with cam/crank sensors, if it acts out, Hitachi/OEM parts ONLY
2002 might have been the last year for a fuel filter, check if equipped and replace if needed
It does have a cabin filter, I doubt it's been changed

I doubt it's an SE-R/Spec-V?
Probably an XE or GXE
There's onboard programming for keyfobs if lost
Here's some factory maintenance manuals, courtesy of a user who I can't @

@TeeCee is correct, most shops don't fill Nissans right
If it's the QR1.8, it takes barely 3qts WITH filter
Screenshot_20230521-002741.jpg

Good luck 🤞

Well let's see.......

Already we need a radiator, so I just bought the hoses/thermostat/radiator. This needs to be done this weekend, so any tips are appreciated.
The dipstick is broken off in the tube. HELP. I've tried two different hacks already, no removal yet.

ATF clearly has never been changed.
Two coils have been changed.
Will need brakes and fluid flushes all the way around.
This car CLEARLY sat for a while before it was put back onto the road.
Still only 75k.

Runs nicely.

Well let's see.......

Already we need a radiator, so I just bought the hoses/thermostat/radiator. This needs to be done this weekend, so any tips are appreciated.
The dipstick is broken off in the tube. HELP. I've tried two different hacks already, no removal yet.
This must be a Sentra thing. Mine broke off after a few months and slid down the tube. Dealership had to take the tube out to get it out. 1.8 GXE.

They were nice little cars in their day, looked a little like a baby Maxima if you squinted hard enough. Comfy seats. I had no problems with mine, got rid of it because of an accident, it was never going to be the same. Nissan came out with a V6 5-speed Altima and I couldn't resist.

Also couldn't resist putting some bigger wheels on the Sentra. Handled much better with wider rubber.
10-Sentra (1).jpg

I have had a 2002 and a 2003 Sentra GXE with the 1.8. Never a problem and both are running at 200K with new owners continuing to run them. Very reliable cars in my experience.

Have you tried using compressed air as shown on this video?

If the plastic is all broken off, you may need to fish it out with a paperclip hook.

Tried the drywall screw method #1.
Tried the compressed air method #2.
Will watch the paperclip method, thanks!

This thing sat WAY too long and now I get to play doctor.

Are these the motors like the Altima that have the spark plug tube seal as part of the valve cover? If so, change it out now before it leaves him stranded. Dated a lady who had an Altima and the thing wouldn't start all the time and left her stranded, plugs were full of oil.

Yesterday we managed to replace the radiator with a Denso, actually put in a thermostat (Aisin) because there wasn't one, replaced the upper and lower hoses, and obviously coolant (Peak older green). Replaced the PCV valve and managed to shove the grommet into the valve cover. Got that fished back out. Changed the oil (Meijer HM semi 5w30 and Fram orange), and will change it again at 500 miles to measure how much it uses, if any. Still stuck with a broken dipstick.
Also added about 3/4 quart of Maxlife ATF after the rad change leak-out, and it shifts really nice. It needs a full drain and fill. But overall, this may be a great time capsule find with 75k. Runs great, no leaks after full heatup.

New issue: The temperature selection dial shed the cable when we set it to full-hot, so it only blows hot now. Shouldn't be a hard fix.

Front brakes two weekends from now.

This must be a Sentra thing. Mine broke off after a few months and slid down the tube. Dealership had to take the tube out to get it out. 1.8 GXE.

They were nice little cars in their day, looked a little like a baby Maxima if you squinted hard enough. Comfy seats. I had no problems with mine, got rid of it because of an accident, it was never going to be the same. Nissan came out with a V6 5-speed Altima and I couldn't resist.

Also couldn't resist putting some bigger wheels on the Sentra. Handled much better with wider rubber.
View attachment 158670

That wheel tire combo looks great!
It is difficult to make aftermarket wheels look like they belong on the car.
Good job!

Back