2002 Mercury Sable 3.0 24V Duratec w/ Kendall 5W30 and 1986 MI/oil, 38K/motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium with the 3.0 Liter 24V Duratec V6. Do not confuse that with the Vulcan engine of the same size available in this model.
Usage was 60/40 highway-city driving. Oil analysis by Schaeffer’s Manufacturing. The dealer I bought the Sable at, Park Mazda of Akron, claims they installed Kendall brand conventional 5W30 in the unit.
Wear metals and additives below are in PPM. Sulfur, Oxidation and Nitration are expressed as a percentage, where 100 % is the number you must stay below.
NR means "not reported".
Schaeffer’s indicated that I should change the oil due to the level of water in it, but I had already changed it.
This oil was sampled and changed so early so I would have evidence for my 3,000 mile used car warranty. I’ll be sampling and changing again this week, after a more sensible 4,000 mile OCI on Pennzoil 5W20.

Date 2/14/2005
Lab Schaeffer
Mi Unit 38646
Mi Oil 1946
Copper 3
Iron 15
Chromium 0
Aluminum 7
Lead 0
Moly 33
Phosphorous 924
Zinc 1017
Magnesium 10
Calcium 2317
Sodium NR
Potassium NR
Antifreeze % 0
Fuel Dilution N
% H20 0.2
Silicon 12
Viscosity CST 9.35
Viscosity SUS @ 210 F NR
ISO 30WT
Sulfur 5
Oxidation 0
Nitration 6
Insolubles NR

Is it just me or does that look like a lot of iron for under 2000 miles on the oil? Isn't 12 parts of silicon elevated as well? Are the two related?

I will say I've skimmed other UOA for this engine, and the silicon is NEVER below 10.
About that iron, though, I have similar concerns. I guess my only salvation is that this is a single UOA, and may be sampling, testing, or pure randomness error.

Very true. Will you be sampling future drains on this car? It would sure be interesting to see the trends. Thanks for the post!

Yeah, I'll sample at least two more drains on this car.
The next report will be Pennzoil conv. 5W20.
My next two oil changes after that will be Exxon Superflo conv. 5W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back