2002 Mercury Sable 3.0 24V Duratec w/ Pennzoil 5W20 and 4524 MI/oil, 43K/motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium with the 3.0 Liter 24V Duratec V6. Do not confuse that with the Vulcan engine of the same size available in this model.
Usage was 60/40 highway-city driving. Oil analysis by Schaeffer’s Manufacturing. On the left side you see my most recent UOA, where the oil is Pennzoil 5W20 conventional, *not* synthetic. I supplemented this Pennzoil with Lube Control in the prescribed dosage.
For the UOA on the left side, Schaeffer’s indicated "CONTAMINATION AND ADDITIVE DEPLETION LEVELS NORMAL. MAINTAIN CURRENT OIL DRAIN INTERVAL."
On the right side you see the previous UOA, where I was running Kendall 5W30 conventional.
Wear metals and additives below are in PPM. Sulfur, Oxidation and Nitration are expressed as a percentage, where 100 % is the number you must stay below.
NR means "not reported".
For the UOA on the left side, Schaeffer’s indicated "CONTAMINATION AND ADDITIVE DEPLETION LEVELS NORMAL. MAINTAIN CURRENT OIL DRAIN INTERVAL."
For the UOA on the right side, Schaeffer's indicated "POSITIVE WATER; SEE REVERSE SIDE OF FORM. OIL SHOULD BE CHANGED. RESAMPLE TO ESTABLISH TRENDS."
I’ll be sampling and changing again very soon, after about 4-5,000 miles on Exxon Superflo 5W20, also supplemented with Lube Control. I am also a Fuel Power user, but I don't believe that should matter in my UOAs... just my car repair bills.

Date: March 2005 / February 2005
Lab Schaeffers
Mi Unit 43170 / 38646
Mi Oil 4524 / 1946
Copper 5 / 3
Iron 14 / 15
Chromium 0 / 0
Aluminum 6 / 7
Lead 0 / 0
Moly 218 / 33
Phosphorous 1014 / 924
Zinc 1027 / 1017
Magnesium 7 / 10
Calcium 1997 / 2317
Sodium NR / NR
Potassium NR / NR
Antifreeze % 0 / 0
Fuel Dilution N / N
% H20 0.0 / 0.2
Silicon 17 / 12
Viscosity CST 7.25 / 9.35
Viscosity SUS @ 210 F NR / NR
ISO 20WT / 30WT
Sulfur 8 / 5
Oxidation 2 / 0
Nitration 7 / 6
Insolubles NR / NR

Editorial Comments:
It looks like Pennzoil is definitely using moly in their formula. It looks like Kendall isn't.
I'm glad to see this sample did not test positive for H20 like the last one did.
The silicon would freak me out on other cars, but this engine seems to never turn in below 10 PPM of Si no matter what you do or do not do to it.
I'm glad to see my Sulfur, Oxidation and Nitration so nice and low.

Miscellaneous:
A previous thread on this car can be found at http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002448#000000

I wish Schaeffers did sodium & potassium, but at least they give the Sulfur, Oxidization and Nitration Percentages.
My Exxon Superflo appears to be SL.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
at least they give the Sulfur, Oxidization and Nitration Percentages.

Well I'm not knocking those numbers but I'm not sure how useful or even how accurate they are.

Looks pretty decent. Unfortunately Schaeffer does not give sodium or potassium. Thats why I fired them
frown.gif
You had the SL version of this oil in. Is your Exxon the GF-4/SM variety?

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
at least they give the Sulfur, Oxidization and Nitration Percentages.

Well I'm not knocking those numbers but I'm not sure how useful or even how accurate they are.

I try not to share Terry Dyson's secrets too much, but I got the vibe from him on a Schaeffer's UOA for my old Caprce I had him look at last year that he places at least some stock in that part of Schaeffer's methodology.
If he pays attention to it, I'll pay attention to it. Of course, he knows what to look for, whereas I'm virtually useless at interpreting UOAs.
And, of course, like you, he was wishing Schaeffer's ran Potassium and Sodium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back