2002 Honda Accord timong belt change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only say based on my experience:

Must change the water pump or else they won't last long enough till the next TB change (at 210k).

Honda's belt interval is based on how long is the belt. Their DOHC has the belt drive both cam gear instead of the common 2 inner gear design of Toyota, so their DOHC belt can last longer (i.e. 1.5X teeth for N cycles vs only 1X teeth for N cycles), nothing magical.

Usually it is a good idea to change pulley and cam seal at the same time. I am approaching 170k and my oil seal is still perfect, so are my VC gasket. Make sure you use gasket maker around the cam loop sharp corners on the VC gasket, or else it will leak at those area, first hand experience here.

Most older Honda engine spin the opposite way as other make, so don't think about using the starter and a breaker bar to knock the crank shaft bolt off. You need a hex key with a hole (many people weld a 26mm bolt to a pipe) to hold the pulley in place, then use a 19mm bolt with an impact gun to break open the bolt. That is the hardest part. If you don't have the right tool, bring it to the shop, or buy a morosol crank pulley holder from summitracing.com

TB on Honda is one of the few things that I recommend people bring it to a mechanic.

The going price for labor only is $200, if you buy Honda parts from dealer, it is about $120-180. So $400 is about right.

quote:

Originally posted by PandaBear:

The going price for labor only is $200, if you buy Honda parts from dealer, it is about $120-180. So $400 is about right.

Sorry, but just having gone through this, and doing some research beforehand, I must argue with your prices.

List retail for my parts alone was $365. When I quit laughing and told the guy that I just got a quote over the phone from a dealer CLOSER to me (I was out of town on a business trip), he magically came down $100. I told him thanks, but no thanks. He came down to $10 more. It would have taken me 2 hours of driving and 6 gallons of fuel to go get the parts, so I got them there. $245.

Water pump
Timing belt
Balance shaft belt
Alt Belt
P/S belt
5 seals
Valve cover gasket
Seal retainer

The labor was at a local mechanic. His shop rate is $45 per hour. His book called for 4-1/2 hours. I asked for a valve adjust while it was being done, with a fuel filter replacement (I had the $26 filter). Fuel filter replacement on 5th gen Accords goes for $38 at the dealers, 30 min of labor.

I paid him $255 for labor, $245 in parts. Dealerships wanted $700 for parts and labor.

I paid about 275 for the water pump, TB, alt. and ps belts. 45 per hour in labor is a GREAT freakin' price. Dealer charges about 75 an hour. May be worth the drive if I go back to Clarksville TN for a visit and stop by and see your mechanic for that price. Papabear, must have to argue on that price too. Maybe you haven't had one replaced in a while....

Schmoe,

Clarksville is a good piece from Fort Payne.

But, if you insist, and can't get ahold of me, all you need to do is come to town and go to any of the parts stores (try to only privately owned one) and ask who is the best GM Mechanic in town.

They should send you to a small joint behind the Sonic.

Or just go there yourself.

quote:

Most older Honda engine spin the opposite way as other make, so don't think about using the starter and a breaker bar to knock the crank shaft bolt off.

If it's a manual, stick it in the highest gear and have someone apply the brakes so you can get the bolt off without turning the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back