Anybody here from Indiana and familiar with the BMV?

I bought a repo from American Honda Finance that is titled in Indiana to Honda. At the time Honda titled it, Carfax reported an odometer discrepancy because the mileage entered at a service facility in 2022 is less than the mileage entered at another place in 2020. Thus Indiana marked the title as NOT ACTUAL MILES.

Since then, Carfax has found that to be an error and removed it from the Carfax report. I’ll be trying to contact the Indiana BMW about removing the NOT ACTUAL MILES and getting a corrected title with actual miles. Any suggestions on the best way to get this done? Honda said to contact Indiana because they sent paperwork for an actual mileage title so there is nothing more Honda can do. Not in a huge rush but it took nearly 3 weeks to get the title report from the BMV. Do I call, email or regular mail them the details and documents? Or all three?

There seems to be some naivete to this story.

I don't know why Indiana would follow a carfax report-- they're a private entity.

Someone, probably at Honda Finance, checked the "not actual miles" box on the title (application) and filled out the appropriate affadavit. The sleuthing should be directed at why. Maybe you can do a FOIA request?

Someone, probably at Honda Finance, checked the "not actual miles" box on the title (application) and filled out the appropriate affadavit. The sleuthing should be directed at why. Maybe you can do a FOIA request?
No, I got a copy of the title record and Honda didn't check not actual miles on the application.

I don't know why Indiana would follow a carfax report-- they're a private entity.
Many states will run a history report on a car before issuing the title to uncover washing or other negative history.

I’m sure there’s a state office in Indianapolis you could call and talk to a real person. 888-692-6841 I bet they’ll tell you that the last name on the title will have to seek the correction. I had a salvage packet sent back once because the miles on the rear of title was 3 miles lower than on the front of the title. After some objection, the selling dealer signed that it was in error even though it was the auction’s error. The state accepted this and issued a miles correct title.

Last edited:
After a half hour on the phone waiting, I got a human on the phone and after 15 more minutes of checking their records I was told they will issue a corrected title. Will take 3 weeks to process. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Good work.

Well, as is so often warned at the end of many a BITOG thread:

“Your mileage may vary!”

Back