Carfax may not be respected, but likely still worthwhile expense

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Carfaxs' have errors, omissions, etc. Many people have issues with Carfaxes business practices, and I understand that. I buy a lot of carfaxes, but at a deep discount of $10 per report.

I was checking out a 2014 ML 63 with 21k miles. The ML 63 has higher quality seats, so low mileage is a real benefit for low wear and tear on the leather seats. I did a carfax and an epicvin, both reports show over 60k miles. Digging deeper, the odometer is reading a 21k trip mileage, not overall mileage.

This is a auction vehicle, so there is no recourse for the error in the listing. I did send a note to the auction manager on the error.

• Stock #:35910966
  • Selling Branch:Eugene (OR)
  • VIN (Status):4JGDA7EB0EA316450 (OK)
  • Odometer:21,612 mi (Actual)
aHR0cHM6Ly9lcGljdmluLmNvbS9pbWcvbG5nL2VuLnN2Zw~~
Aug 4, 202060,000 miNMVTISTitle and Registration
Sep 17, 202061,741 miVINCHAINVehicle offered for sale by dealer
Dec 11, 202061,755 miNMVTISTitle and Registration
Dec 30, 202161,755 miNMVTISTitle and Registration

download (4).png

Last edited:
Yes the "From reset" is the trip odometer. Left side buttons on the steering wheel toggle you through all the info.

This is a auction vehicle, so there is no recourse for the error in the listing.
I'm thinking that if you know the manager there, or do enough business with that auction, you would be able to unwind the sale. That's the auction's error and a good lawyer could bring a lot of hurt on the auction for misrepresenting the mileage on something under 10 years old. Federal laws come into play as well here.

I'm thinking that if you know the manager there, or do enough business with that auction, you would be able to unwind the sale. That's the auction's error and a good lawyer could bring a lot of hurt on the auction for misrepresenting the mileage on something under 10 years old. Federal laws come into play as well here.
I wrote the auction house, they said they fixed it, but when I checked the page still showed the erroneous mileage. Are the response to me email was three words, not a cordial correspondence in any manner.

I wrote the auction house, they said they fixed it, but when I checked the page still showed the erroneous mileage. Are the response to me email was three words, not a cordial correspondence in any manner.
Unless you buy or sell more than a dozen a month there, they won't give you the time of day, except of course when you show up at 4:30 to pick up a car and they tell you it's too late to pick it up, come back tomorrow.

Back