2002 Harley, is best oil HD brand syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to this forum..its great! I've got the above bike and have used HD syn 3. Harley said its specialy formulated for HD's. Do you think that's true? Is this oil the same as another oil on the market? Is there an oil that's better? True that it runs cooler, smoother, quieter, but at 8 bucks a quart....

bighitr ,
welcome.gif
to BITOG!
quote:

Is there an oil that's better?

Probably not a definitive answer to that question.At $8 a quart there are other options out there.A few to consider:
Royal Purple Max-Cycle
Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 Racing Oil
Schaeffer #705 SUPREME 7000 RACING OIL SAE 20W-50
Redline Oils
Mobil1 Motorcycle oils
I've run Mobil1 15w-50 Tri-Syn in my Buell for a while.Analysis results were less than spectacular.I'll be switching to the Amsoil 20w-50 racing oil soon.Analysis & engine feel will tell which oils perform best in your engine.

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by bighitr:

Is there an oil that's better? True that it runs cooler, smoother, quieter, but at 8 bucks a quart....

Yeah there is a host of oils that would probably outperform the HD oil at less cost .

The current and probable reigning king is the Maxima Ester 15w-50 with a little over 3000ppm zinc and phos ..overkill at it's finest there
smile.gif
..I'd post a link but it's against the board rules since it has pricing but a google search for Maxima oil will help .

Redline makes a 20w60HD oil, that is formulated for HD's and similar engines. Our redline site supporter could probably help you out on acquiring it, if you wish.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
I've run Mobil1 15w-50 Tri-Syn in my Buell for a while.Analysis results were less than spectacular.

Mark

Have you tried M1 15w-50 Super-Syn? Tri-Syn was an "unspectacular" oil at best.

I believe it would be a great lube for this application...

Jelly,
I still have 2, 5-quart jugs of Tri-Syn left to use.I bought 4 jugs on clearance at Wal-Mart a couple years ago.This spring I didnt even change the filter before we took a road trip.Just dumped the oil and replaced it with the same Tri-Syn M1 w/10% LC.
I'll change it all out (with a new filter)to the Amsoil racing soon.
I think the main culprit of the lackluster Tri-Syn analysis was do to the K&N air filter.The race kit I installed on the Buell included this as part of the airbox modifications.Plus,I do tend to beat the snot out of her on occasion.
gr_stretch.gif

Mark

I'd suggest the Amsoil High Performance 20w-50, which runs about $7.25/qt, including shipping. This oil is JASO MA rated for use in wet clutches and I've seen excellent results with it in ducati and moto guzzi bikes.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Thanks for all the input
smile.gif
What Hd says ..is all three cavities can be used with their oil...is there an secret to this? Can these oils you've mentioned do the same? Is there any secret to this ie: the various cavity usage...do all these oils do the same thing? Thanks in advance
cool.gif

The Amsoil 20w-50 works fine in the transmission, as well as the engine. You can also run this oil in the chaincase, although Amsoil primarily recommends their 10w-40/AMO in the chaincase, as it more closely matches the viscosity of the harley factory fill ....

The other thing you could consider would be to run the Amsoil 15w-40/AME in all three units. It's a bit thinner than the 20w-50, but will give you better wear protection than a petroleum based 20w-50, along with better engine performance and cooler fluid temps. The additive chemistry used in the 15w-40 is fine for JASO MA, wet clutch applications, although it's not specifically marketed as a MC oil....

TS

Rugerman,
Why the Amsioil 20W-50 Racing Oil, instead of their motorcycle oil?

Tooslick,
Can you offer some insight in the differences in these two oils?

quote:

Originally posted by 47HO:
Rugerman,

Tooslick,

There is no difference between the ARO and the AMV. They are 1 in the same.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Rugerman,

Tooslick,

There is no difference between the ARO and the AMV. They are 1 in the same.

I believe he asked about TRO.

quote:

Rugerman,

When I asked Pablo what was the best 20w-50 Amsoil sold,he said to get TRO.Harley/Buell have seperate engine & transmissions.No compatibility issues there.

Mark

[ April 29, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by bighitr:
New to this forum..its great! I've got the above bike and have used HD syn 3. Harley said its specialy formulated for HD's. Do you think that's true? Is this oil the same as another oil on the market? Is there an oil that's better? True that it runs cooler, smoother, quieter, but at 8 bucks a quart....

Bighitr,

I too ran syn3 in all three places, I found no better performance or shifting over my previous use of Castrol Synthetic V-twin $6.75 qt in the motor, in fact it felt hotter and was noisier with the Syn3.

The gearbox didn't shift better than the Amsoil Racing synthetic gear oil I've been running. I think the Amsoil performed a bit better and smoother.

As far as the primary i've always run hds oil in there, and I put the syn3 in really haven't noticed a difference.

Wallet was a little lighter so that may have improved performance but then it's not that heavy to begin with
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back