2002 F150 Transmission/Transfer case fluid

Going to change the transmission/filter and transfer case fluid in a 2002 F150 4x4 SuperCrew with 4R70W transmission. Don't have manual, but think it should be Mercon V? Can anyone verify if Mercon V is correct and how many quarts for the transmission and transfer case?

Also going to change the rear diff fluid, dont have the truck here now, so not sure if 8.8 or 9.75. Anyone know if 8.8 and 9.75 and the capacity?

Last edited:
The transfer case never called for Mercon V. It called for Mercon, then "Transfer Case Fluid" which was then replaced by Mercon LV. So you would want Mercon V in the transmission and Mercon LV in the transfer case.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The transfer case never called for Mercon V. It called for Mercon, then "Transfer Case Fluid" which was then replaced by Mercon LV. So you would want Mercon V in the transmission and Mercon LV in the transfer case.

Thanks - That is exactly what I am finding with some google searches. I am guessing there are a lot of ford transfer cases with the wrong fluid in them - maybe some resulting premature problems/failures? I will use Mercon V in the transmission and Mercon LV in the transfer case.

Like you, I researched before doing lubrication maintenance on my newly acquired Ranger.

I learned that Ford back-specced LV fluid for all it's transfer cases. I used Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc LV. My Ranger's TC requires 20 ounces.

I bought my MerconV at Walmart. My Ranger was 15 years old but didn't have 50K on it. The fluid was a dark red and smelled OK. I also bought a Dorman pan with a drain plug so I'll be doing other D&Fs down the road.

You got the trannie covered. Reddy45's link is nifty. I did a pan drop with filter change on my friend's '97 F-150 with a 4R70W.
The dipstick read "MERCON" but that was changed to MerconV long before we did the job.
His unit didn't have 60K on it and the fluid looked and smelled OK so we decided that was enough.

In both cases the filters could've been reused.

DSC02019.jpg

DSC02017.JPG

DSC02024.JPG

Seems to me most SuperCrew trucks had the 9.75" rear. It's pretty easy to tell the difference. 8.8" has a 10 bolt cover and the 9.75" has 12 bolts. The shape is also different, from the rear the 8.8's pumpkin is pretty much a rounded off square whereas the 9.75" is considerably larger and is taller on the drivers' side than it is on the passenger.

8.8" takes about 2.75 quarts and the 9.75" takes about 3 quarts. Ford calls for 75W-140 synthetic in both, plus a tube of Motorcraft friction modifier if it's an LSD.

You would be fine with regular Dex/Merc in the transfer case, it won't know the difference from Mercon LV. Closer to what it originally called for anyways. Stick with Mercon V in the transmission.

Transmission will take 4-5 quarts after a pan drop and transfer case will take between 1.5 and 2 quarts.

Last edited:
Supposedly, there was something in Mercon V that attacked the adhesive used in the transfer case clutches, hence the back spec to plain old Mercon for transfer cases.

Back