2002 Corvette Z06 what oil to use?

Yep, pretty much any good 5W-30 will have the GM rating " GM4718M". I ran Mobil 1 5W-30 in mine and seemed fine. I'd run any good full synthetic 5W-30 meeting the GM spec.
This fits and the price is right! 😁

Attachments

• Kirkland-FS 5W-30.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 16
I would recommend the same oil I run in my 2018 Corvette, Mobil 1 5w30 ESP. The higher HTHS will be beneficial even if you're not tracking the car, just for those times when the oil temps are higher and you want to push it a little harder, it's going to give you that extra margin of safety.

We think its all stock... its got 111k miles. Its got a short shifter but thats it

When I was stock I ran whatever brand name 5w30 synthetic that was on sale and beat the hell out of it, everything was fine in the UOA.

When I was stock I ran whatever brand name 5w30 synthetic that was on sale and beat the hell out of it, everything was fine in the UOA.
Really okay..... well I was thinking of the pp or pup 5w30 but they are closer to 20w so thats a little risky for me. I think I may lean towards M1 Esp or M1 EP 5w30, if I used any pp oil I will be doing a UOA.

Really okay..... well I was thinking of the pp or pup 5w30 but they are closer to 20w so thats a little risky for me. I think I may lean towards M1 Esp or M1 EP 5w30, if I used any pp oil I will be doing a UOA.
PP wasn’t around when I had the car stock, this was 15 years ago. Right now I am running PP Euro L 5w30 which is considered almost a 40 weight.

M1 ESP and EP would work great, solid choices.

I would recommend the same oil I run in my 2018 Corvette, Mobil 1 5w30 ESP. The higher HTHS will be beneficial even if you're not tracking the car, just for those times when the oil temps are higher and you want to push it a little harder, it's going to give you that extra margin of safety.
Thanks for your reply.... I was hesistant of using the ESP since its a diesel rated oil but if it works just as good as any gas rated oil I will definitely consider it. Its either M1 Ep5w30 or the M1 Esp, and if not then maybe valvoline or something else, im just not wanting to choose pup this time since its a thinner oil and it may shear down.

PP wasn’t around when I had the car stock, this was 15 years ago. Right now I am running PP Euro L 5w30 which is considered almost a 40 weight.
Right the euro version..... does it negatively affect the vette even if its not a euro car? Or is the euro just more tough because of the euro standards?

Right the euro version..... does it negatively affect the vette even if its not a euro car? Or is the euro just more tough because of the euro standards?

PP Euro L is dexos2, the spec that GM calls for on the new Corvette but also recommends on all Corvettes.

nope no negative affects, run it in my STI and UOA come back solid. I also change my oil on the vette yearly and the STI at 4000 miles so I can’t speak for long runs on this oil. If you wanted to do that I would get a used oil analysis with TBN.

So current plan is to see if it burns any oil, I dont know much about the previous history so I hope its been kept on a good oci. I will be cracking into its valve train to change the valve springs on it since its a common issue, will have a tech take pictures of it and I will post here. I will drain whatever is in it and will decide if I may run PUP for one or two intervals to clean things up and then use M1 Ep 5w30 afterwards. If I consume a lot of 5w30 then im bumping to 0w40 so I will update this thread if that does happen.

0w40 is a good all around viscosity choice. Castrol Edge Euro would be my vote if you went that route. If it was strictly a track car, a 15w50 synthetic would be my vote.

I would certainly not run PU 5W30 in it. IMO it starts out too thin. If I was set on running a 30 grade it would be ESP 5W30, but if it were mine I'd opt for ESP 0W40.

Hello everyone I am looking and wondering what oil I should run in this vette? I read older threads but alas they are dated and now we have new oil formulations so that means different specs. I do like PUP 5w30 or M1 EP 5w30 but I am afraid the PUP may shear to a 5w20 in this engine. I don't plan on tracking the car so I wont be going to the ×w40 route unless I should or if it burns oil like crazy. Please let me know what you recommend thank you very much!!!
I would get the car sorted out first - I am sure there will be plenty to do other than worry about oil.
I hope it's got a CAGS bypass harness extension. I wouldn't drive a car with skip-shift 10ft unless that monstrosity was disabled.

If it were mine (Wife says no Corvettes) I would do as PATMAN says or run a 5W40 Euro spec oil Like Molygen or FUCHS.

Something that gets the HTHS up towards the mid 3's.
KV100 or 30 or 40 doesn't mean much of anything in high specific output engines.

Don't think about GTL PUP or PP. Its just a synthesized paraffin (alkane).

Have fun! Most fun for the $$. Hope you got it for a good price.

M1 0W-40 and watch to see if there is more oil burning consumption. 10W-30 M1 high mile would be stout . Thicker oils for track use.

+1 on the Mobil 1 0w40, 0w40 ESP, 5w30 ESP, Castrol 0w40. All these oils will serve the engine well and are year round oils.
I cant say much about Pennzoil but having had some poor UOA's and increased oil consumption with Platinum and Ultra I quit using them.:poop:

Shearing of the oil is not as common anymore with the better oils of today. Mobil 1 5w/30 HM or your choice of Dexos approved oil will be fine...even Supertech will fit the bill and I would actually recommend you use ST as your first oil change and run it 1000-2000 miles since the car has been sitting so long.

Last edited:
Im just wondering why you use the ESP over the EP? From the mobil specs ive seen, the esp has a higher hths compared to ep so it would hold out longer for more beatings like you said, but since its also diesel rated would it have less cleaning ability than ep? I do plan on running a few short oci to clean things up since its at 110k and idk the previous owners maintenance.

Back