2002 BMW 325Ci - 2 years without an oil change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has what he calls "his baby" a BMW 325Ci. He rarely drives this thing and it shows with only 3,000 km's on it. He takes it out about twice a month on the highway to strech its legs and thats about it.
He bought this car brand new and has had this car for little over 2 years. I was shocked when he told me that he still hasn't changed the oil. I checked the oil for him and the color seemed "normal" but it was a liter low (car takes 6.5 liters). I also noticed the oil fill cap reads "Castrol Only" on it.
So what do you say, Castrol Syntech 0w-30 "German" or the Syntech 5w-40 "Belgium" for this -rarely- driven BMW?
Thank you.

UOA, please.
cheers.gif

Your friend needs to drive the Bimmer more!! These cars are meant to be driven!! Sorry couldn't resist.
cheers.gif

Why does he baby it that much? What's his normal ride? Kids at my university drive BMW 3 series as their daily driver. All status quo in my opinion.

Here in the United States, BMW will change your oil for you "gratis" once a year if you don't drive the mileage specified by the maintenance computer.

Best oil for this engine? Undoubtedly, German Castrol 0W-30! See this analysis -- it's clearly superior to the Castrol 5W-30 used by BMW.

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy2:
My friend has what he calls "his baby" a BMW 325Ci. He rarely drives this thing and it shows with only 3,000 km's on it. He takes it out about twice a month on the highway to strech its legs and thats about it.
He bought this car brand new and has had this car for little over 2 years. I was shocked when he told me that he still hasn't changed the oil. I checked the oil for him and the color seemed "normal" but it was a liter low (car takes 6.5 liters). I also noticed the oil fill cap reads "Castrol Only" on it.
So what do you say, Castrol Syntech 0w-30 "German" or the Syntech 5w-40 "Belgium" for this -rarely- driven BMW?
Thank you.

3000km? isn't that 1000 miles? if so, he's letting the car rot. I thought I hardly drive with only 6k miles a year. just curious. what's his main ride?

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:
Here in the United States, BMW will change your oil for you "gratis" once a year if you don't drive the mileage specified by the maintenance computer.

Best oil for this engine? Undoubtedly, German Castrol 0W-30! See this analysis -- it's clearly superior to the Castrol 5W-30 used by BMW.

Thanks quadrun1. I'll recommend the 0w-30 to him.
As far as his "ultimate siting machine" goes....well you guessed it it sat this whole weekend.
smile.gif

By the way, his regular car is a 2003 Suzuki Vitara 4-cyl. with only 10k km's on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back